Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

TAL advice

Hi all,

money is definitely beginning to burn a hole in my pocket.... :)

TAL 2M on ebay, £175, here: astronomical reflector telescope on eBay (end time 13-Jan-11 21:05:01 GMT)

It looks about right, isn't too far from me and I can afford it.

I have heard a few comments about bad tinting in the optics, but far more about how good the optics and general build quality are. This budget allows me funds to get a motor corrector so I can run it on batteries. I have heard there is a very good stand used on TAL2s and a less good one - which is which and how would I tell the difference?

All in, does this look like a decent buy and what would be top whack price?

Many thanks - I WILL make my mind up soon!

J.

I'm unable to comment on the TAL-2M, but I have it's little brother the TAL-1 and I am very pleased with it. Build quality and attention to detail such as captive parts (can't lose screws etc in the dark) really make the TAL series shine. Then there are all the accessories you get like the filters and sun projection screen.

As a package, I don't think you will go far wrong if you bought this for £175 second hand. Not sure about the list price as for some reason I couldn't find a UK dealer who sells this model in their range. But I bet if you e-mailed Optical Vision who I think are the main importer of TAL products, they would get you a price for a brand new scope so that you know where you stand.

Also to compare, Skywatcher 150PL on EQ3-2 mount with a motor drive would be about £300-£350 brand new. And you don't get any other accessories with it.

My two shekels...

Hi J.

I have a few Tal scopes including this one. Super scope, super mount. Best mount Tal have made. I still use this as my main mount today and it can carry a ton weight.

The optics are excellent and I've never really noticed any colour toning through any of their scopes. If it's there it's very subtle.

If you pop into the Tal User Group, Stargazers Lounge - Tal Users Group

there are some links n stuff which may help you out. Not to mention lots of folk with experience of various Tal scopes.

2M's come on ebay now and again, but rarely go for much, considering how much they were new. I personally think anything under £200 is a bargain for what you get packaged with the scope.

Cheers,

Andy.

The 2M came with the following, if I remember correctly.

Scope and dustcap for the front. Spare cap with offset hole in(used to project the sun onto the sun screen), 8x50 finder and dewshield, bracket for finder, large white sunscreen, 3 eyepieces, barlow lens, crosshair recticle, 6 coloured filters, screwdriver.

Andy.

Thanks Andy,

by adapted, do you mean "gas axe and arc welder" or "hacksaw and screwdriver"? :)

Hehe.

A length of alluminium flat bar and a saddle plate. Saddle plate is screwed to the flat bar and the plate screws to the mount. The mount doesn't need any alteration, which is good news. I've got a pic somewhere. I'll post it up when I find it.

Andy.

3397703573_6582e4f3ab_z.jpg?zz=1

That's the general idea. The above was done for another Tal mount I have.

The saddle is the only relatively expensive item. A piece of alluminium shouldn't be costly.

here it is attatched to a Tal mount.

3398238827_1ffb7d0c27_z.jpg?zz=1

Andy.

J.

Your new scope may come with a black solar filter that goes onto the eyepiece. It is intended for direct viewing of the sun. Danger!

Don't risk using this! Just bin it like I did.

The solar screen is quite good, I used it the other day to get some nice projections of the sun and saw some sunspots. Don't forget to mask the finder with masking tape before you do this otherwise you can burn holes in your clothes if you are standing in the wrong place..

Best regards - Steve

Hi all,

my TAL is safely boxed at home... I really didn't realise how heavy "blumming heavy" was until I tried to pick it up in one piece! Even the packing cases are substantially better built than some parts of our house...

It is missing a couple of bits (12V power cable from the transformer to the mount and one of the three thumb screws that secures the mount to the top f the pillar) but otherwise seems fine. Previous owner is looking for these but really not a big deal to replace (planing to get a power pack and motor controller anyway).

Even I can tell the collimation is out - the view through the focuser shows the secondary clearly off centre and some of the side of the tube is visible. Guess this is something I am going to have to get used to! The really rough inner wall of the tube has gathered quite a bit of dust at the secondary end and I guess it will need a clean and service but overall condition seems very good.

I have three eye-pieces (not sure how many are original - the barlow is Tasco branded) and no filters. Not quite what it originally came with but this is clearly not a full set (assuming this is indicative: MITZAR TAL-2M ASTRONOMICAL TELESCOPE FOR SPARES on eBay (end time 16-Jan-11 20:53:16 GMT)) but I'm sure I'll cope for now. Off to visit White Peak OAG with it tomorrow so hopefully will get some good pointers from them.

Thanks again for all the advice!

J.

TAL-Set's

Scroll down the page in the link above and you'll see the eyepieces originally supplied with the 2M. We've been calling these generation II types. The ones shown on the current ebay 2M tube assembly are generation I

Out of interest, what's the year of your scope?

Any queries about the scope or mount, don't hesitate to ask. I've had the mount to bits and totally reconditioned mine with new bearings, motor gearbox etc and it 's working even better than when 1st bought. These mounts respond really well to a bit of a tune up. Bear in mind that they are a bit different from standard eq mounts......in a good way.

Andy.

Andy, I may take you up on that I the next few weeks. It has been stood in somebody's lounge for a few years; it's generally clean but I think a strip down, clean out and regrease would probably do it the world of good. will give the ota a bit of tlc too - primary looks ok from the open end but there's definitely quite a bit of dust in the tube itself.

Will do a photo journal of each stage and st up a blog on here or summat.

Incidentally, I now KNOW how well built these things are. Messing with the finder scope (lovely bit of kit in its own right) and dropped it off the table onto a tiled concrete floor - it bounced and sill focuses perfectly. Not going to risk it again though :icon_eek:.

Archived