Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Which scope WITH A DIFFERENCE

Hi, I know, another 'which scope' post.:D

This is a bit different. I've been looking, reading, thinking for far too long now, so I need your help please.

-I am a disabled astronomer, a wheelchair user (but I can use a walking frame around the house).

-I have a budget of +/-£500.

-I would prefer to view DSOs, but also planets.

-Eventually would like to photograph my findings, imaging.

-I have very good skies with very little light pollution.

Because of my mobility, I am looking for a GOTO 'scope. I have been looking at the Skywatcher Skymax 127 NEQ3 or the Startravel 102 on an EQ GOTO mount.

I realise that the Skymax has a longer FL (1500mm) & therefore wouldn't be great for DSOs.

And the ST102 'suffers' a lot of chromatic abberation.

:)

What are your opinions? Do you have any other suggestions?

Thankyou in advance,

Ed

Hi Ed, and welcome to SGL.

You can't go wrong here for advice etc. Lots of good folk.

I reckon you should go for a medium sized flextube Dobsonian.

It would be light and small enough to put on your lap to take outside, and once setup, the eyepiece would be low enough for you to view without having to stand up. The Skywatcher range is very good, and affordable.

I think any scope on an EQ mount would be difficult for you, as you would have to be on your feet constantly.

Hope this helps

Cheers

I would certainly recommend a refractor, simply because of the fact that you generally would use it sitting down for the majority of the time. The zenith (overhead) may be a problem but s the sky "moves" it may just be that you have to wait a while to see things.

THe compromise may be the Evostar 102 or 120 on a goto mount. These are f/9.8 and f/8 respectivly and would be good "general" scopes. If you intend to photograph the Moon and Planets these slightly longer focal length refractors would fit the bill (the Pro series would blow the budget!!)

Thanks for the welcome and replies.

I really like the look and capability of Dobs, but am I right to say that there would be no possibility to 'image' DSOs?

Would I be able to use a Skyliner 200p flextube sitting down?

Is it difficult to manually starhop and track objects with a Dob? What is Dob nudging?

Thats also why a refractor was a consideration. The eq mount would allow me to experiment with imaging, and I could use a diagonal to view things near the Zenith.

My brain hurts!!!

Thanks again,

Ed

HI and welcome from me too - not sure what I would recommend for you, I think it would be best for you to visit a shop where you could perhaps size up whether stuff was going to be usable. Its really hard to gauge what would be good, I am guessing a smallish dob but if you want to do imaging that means an EZ mount and most reflectors can be a pain for anyone. I suspect an SCT might be the way to go as an all purpose scope for you but it is a hard one to guess.

Either a mak or a short tube refractor would give an easy sitting view although for dso imaging the mak would limit you to bright objects for imaging.

As Astro baby recommends find a good shop and try them out for size.

Dave...

I wouldn't recommend a 200P or a flextube with your condition (or what I assume from your description of it).

You need something that you can set up and leave in place with an easy to reach ep from seated position and goto for finding stuff. I would also suggest a computer compitible scope that you can use indoors under remote control with a camera at the eyepiece.

Look at Maksutov or Schmitt Cassegraines and/or short tube appochromatics on EQ mount. The ep is at the back end and can be used seated on a chair or variable height bar stool. With Newtonians the ep is at the top end and you will be pointing it upwards so I'd avoid those.

Rest assured that you can look at most stuff with most scopes - it's just that some are particularly good at planets, others particularly good for dso's.

I'd be looking at an EQ5 mount with maybe a Skywatcher or William Optics short tube refractor, or a SW 127 Mak. Including a goto would stretch your budget a fair bit but worth it in the long run I feel. You can change the OTA's without buying another mount so you'd save a fair bit that way when upgrading the optics.

Look into the second hand market - you can get some very respectable kit in great condition for about 1/2 to 2/3rds the "new" prices.

Hope that helps :)

As Astro baby recommends find a good shop and try them out for size.

Dave...

Unfortunately here in France, good astro shops are few and far between. Some opticians stock a selection of Skywatcher gear, but I have not seen any dobs in them.

Where abouts in SW France are you Orion? I am in Deux Sevres. If you are not to far away, I have a 200mm dob and a Startravel 120 on an Eq mount, that you are welcome to have a look at and see which way you may wish to proceed.

Archie

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Plenty of great advice here as you can see.

My concern would be the tripod legs of the mount restricting your movements and such in the wheelchair or with the support. I know this may be a long shot, but do you have anywhere where you would like to observe that you could put a permanent Pillar? The reason being is that this would remove the restrictions around the base area, no tripod legs to get in the way and reducing the space needed around the mount for manoeuvrability.

If this was a possibility and you had someone near who could do this cheaply for you, then you could look at a decent EQ mount that you could put on your lap if wheeling out from indoors, or even leave the mount permanently Set-up on the pillar and just pop your scope on it as n when you get chance to get out. leaving your weights on the mount would also reduce the load you require to carry out to observe with you.

As for what scope. If it was with a tripod, you might find a longer tube retractor with the tripod legs raised, a little easier than getting around the legs and positioning for a smaller retractor. I wouldn't bother with a Newtonian as it will more than likely be to heavy and cumbersome for you to want to lift onto the mount on a regular basis. I say this as even being able to use all limbs fine n dandy, I still find mounting my 10" newt a pain in the neck, if the light isn't on or I don't have someone with me.

The mak would be another good option.

Hope that is of some help.

Thanks for the responses everyone.

Naz, I'm in Narbonne, 11, so prob too far but thanks for the offer.

Although I like the look of Dobs, I can understand one will be tricky for me due to EP location.

I'm swaying towards something like a Startravel 102. I think the viewing position will be easier. I just need to think mounts. An AZ mount will be lighter and easier to set up, but something like the NEQ3 will allow me to tinker with imaging.

Can any of you point me to where I will find some images taken using the ST 102?

Thanks,

Ed

The issue you may find is viewing through polar scopes to align the mount correctly due to them being really really low if you do not heft up the tripod a little. For imaging Polar alignment is crucial to good images...only have to see the imaging discussion for that lol.

However, this is not to say that you couldn't use some form of software to align the scope via webcam n such.

Goodluck in whatever you decide to purchase....viewing the sky's is a pleasure everyone should enjoy and understand.

Ok, after much thought, reading, googling etc. The combo on my mind is: WO Megrez 72 on NEQ3 goto (don't want too heavy a mount).

Yea, I know, the 'budget' is out of the window, um, sorry Mrs. Ed!

Would the NEQ3 be that inadiquate for imaging with this scope? Or will it give good results but not great?

Thanks,

Ed

I would suggest something on a fork mount. The viewing angle of EQ mount can be awkward in certain position and will need greater ground clearance to clear the counter weight shaft. Fork mount system don't have the clearance issue, so they can be placed very low. A few models can function as a table top scope. I'd suggest a Celestron Nexstar SE or Meade ETX.

As for the optics, I'd suggest either a compact short FL refractor or a Cat. Long FL refractor will be more difficult to set up sitting down and newtonian will have a higher viewing height.

The Meg 72 is a bit too heavy and awkward to mount on the SW AZ goto mounts which are too flimsy for it. I had one last year and it is far to "back end" heavy - especially when you add a diagonal, substantial ep, and/or camera with extension tube.

Someone may be able to suggest a better az mount - but that one is deffo not for the Meg. :)

I didnt have the az goto in mind for imaging, just for obs whilst I save for a better mount. I have seen a few posts here from people who love the Meg 72 on a Vixen porta mount.

I would be prepared to sacrifice the goto as long as manual tracking isnt too difficult. TBH, a lightweight mount would be ideal so that I could carry everything to the seafront on my -AHEM- mobility scooter.

Then imaging would be a nice ambition for 6 months or a year down the line.

I promise to send a pic of me & my equipment on the mobility scooter :-)))

Hi,

I'm in France too. I run an astro B and B in the 05, Provence really, more than High Alps.

Your needs are very hard to comment on because the devil is always in the detail. I worry about the chair tangling with any tripod legs and have been thinking about how an alternative might work. I think a good brainstorming session dedicated to wheelchair observers would be a good thing on the forum.

One idea I have had is for a pier with an offset to allow the chair to get 'under' it to some extent and get the observer close enough to the eyepiece. The pier would reach the ground on the south side. That way the south side would be inaccessible but that only blocks the North of the sky, observationally, where there is less to see anyway.

Paul (Luke Skywatcher) is an experienced disabled observer and would be the the best man to get the ball rolling.

BTW, as soon as you add imaging into the mix the whole business of choosing a scope becomes murderously more difficult. Dobs are out, alt-az is out and fast budget refractors will give only limited success.

Olly

Hi orion,

I'm new to this myself but brantuk's first comment makes a lot of sense. Something I am considering is mounting a telescope on a portion of flat roof we have and controlling it using an electronic ep connected to a pc indoors

I haven't got as far as working out the details yet - this is very much a future project - but the ep certainly seems achievable.

Olly's right - it does need a good brainstorming and a set of advice and options dedicated for wheelchair users put in place. :)

Jamespels - the kind of cameras I'm thinking of would be the Minitrons or Watecs. Mead do an electronic ep but I've not tried mine yet so can't comment. The network needn't be cables - it can be hooked up via wireless routers. :evil6:

You guys are right. It needs a brainstorming session, but the target audience (the likes of me) should have more realistic expectations. I guess this is the case for all people asking the 'which scope' question.

I think it has a lot to do with balancing availible equipment and me being realistic about what one expects to see/do with a 'scope/setup. I keep going round in circles. I know what I want to do, what I need to do it but it's tricky due to the limitations of equipment size/weight (and 'daydream' budgets...'till I become a director of RBS).

Therefore I think imaging of DSOs can stay on the backburner. The most realistic ideas I have had now are to buy a scope for example Skymax 127 goto, and use this to observe planets, brighter DSOs, stars and the moon. :)

With this mindset I am less likely to be dissapointed. I have nice dark skies, the sea is only 1k away so a nice dark horizon there.

And most importantly, Mrs Ed is less likely to garotte me for blowing the budget!

Thanks,

Ed

Archived