Do you read science fiction?

Manok101

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stranger In A Strange Land gets another vote from me, as well as Starship Troopers by Robert A Heinlein. Anything by Alistair Reynolds is worth reading, he is currently the best SF author in my opinion, better than Iain Banks whose last two books have been a bit disappointing - nothing like as good as the superb Excession.

I'm currently working my way through the Gollancz SF Masterworks and haven't found one that I didn't like.

I'm going to read The Time Ships as a result of this thread too!

I mainly read 50s/60s/70s sci-fi...

+1 for Philip K [removed word] esp Ubik

I also highly recommend 'The Stars My Destination' by Alfred Bester, a sci-fi take on 'The Count of Monty Cristo'.

+1 for the Gollancz Sci-fi Masterworks books, I have about 15 of them now and have enjoyed them all.

I'm a big fan of SF.

I'm currently reading the second book of the 'Shoal sequence' trilogy by Gary Gibson....pretty good galaxy spanning stuff written with lots of imagination.

John Scalzi's 'Old Mans War' is a cracking read....the first line is...'on my 70th birthday I visited my wife's grave and joined the army'!

Peter Hamilton, Alastair Reynolds and Neal Asher are favourites, and I've downloaded some H.G.Wells onto my kindle for later.

Apart from the excellent 'Excession', Ian Banks leaves me cold....I find him terminally dull unfortunately, and still think that his first book, the non-SF 'The Wasp Factory' is the best thing he's written....a great and wonderfully dark book.

Cheers

Rob

I think this book is a work of genius.

It is worth reading The Time Machine first if you don't remember it well.

I hope you enjoy it;)

Thanks mate :), I actually bought The Time Machine as well - I last read the story when I was 14 years old!

Archived