Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

EQ6 Pro mount- help needed

Having just aquiredthis mount I powered it up and it was aligning itself on the previous coordinates set by the previous owner. As it started it's slew a grinding noise could be heard so I stopped it .

My question is should it make this noise ? The head as at a45 deg angle and I read in the manual that you can manually tilt by the Altitude Adjustment bolts . The rear one ( opp the weights ) un screws ok but the front one is solid.

What do I do ?? help

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

These latitude bolts are a menace. They have a history of bending, and becoming useless.

The problem is partly down to a user relying on these frail bolts to take all the weight of moving the mount polar axis mounting, simply by forcing them to do so. A lot of force is required, and the bolt is too soft to do the job. If they are silver in colour, then you probably have the originals, and they probably are bent. Do not attempt to force removal by unscrewing it, you might damage the threads in the main housing.

There are high tensile replacements for the softies, and you should order a set. I'm not sure if Flo. sells them Ian King Imaging might. I can't remember where I got mine.

There is a way to access the bent bolt, and straighten it in situ fefore unscrewing it. I'm sure someone who has done so will be along to advise you how.

Good Luck.

Ron.

PS. Take all the weight off the mount, ie scope and weights. Try to undo both bolts carefully without undue force. Take the weight off the polar housing with your arms. You should be able to remove the bolts easily by so doing.

If the bolts refuse to move, further investigation will need to be done. Undo the azimuth adjusting screws. Remove the bolts holding the mount to the tripod, and lift the mount off the tripod. If you look underneath the base, you might see if the bolt on the same side as the counterweight bar is bent. That is the one that heightens the mount altitude. The other bolt adjusts the altitide lower by allowing the mount to gently fall as you undo the bolt. Be careful if you manage to remove bth bolts fully, the mount might slip down under it's own weight and crush your fingers, or something else.

Regarding the noise, a Simple question: Have you used one of these before? It's just that they do make a clattering noise when they slew, which sounds a bit alarming but apparently perfectly normal. Mine certainly makes a lot of noise, as did my old HEQ5-PRO

You will most need to adjust the bolt thats bent - its part of how you align the mount to Polaris. Any small engineering shop should be able to remove it and retap it if needed. It may come out simply by sawing the bent portion off from behind the mount. To do that you will need to remove the main mount element from the bit with the bolts on. This can be done by prising the plastic covers off on either side of the mount (the ones with EQ6 written on one and one with the latitude scale), prise these away with a sharp knife CAREFULLY, they can snap or deform easily.

I have never done this with an EQ6 but I had to with an HEQ5 - the two mounts are identical in this respect except the EQ6 uses larger nuts and bolts.

Theres my guide here that will give you an idea http://www.astro-baby.com/heq5-rebuild/heq5-alt.htm

As to the grinding noise - it depnds what it is - if it sounds like chattering noise, rather like a miniature tank track at the start of slewing then goes away its fine if on the other hand it sounds like an angry door buzzer then the most likely explanation is either the motor gear or the worm gear for the mount is set too tight or suffering lack of lubricant. Both can be adjusted easily enough. My experience with older EQ6s is limited to one unit but by reputation these can suffer from poor QC (bits of flakey metal inside which might be gumming up the works) and poor lubrication (some are loaded with a lubricant thats more like tar than oil and the one I worked on was almost dry of lubricant). Newer models seem far better in this respect.

This can be fixed but it can be a real chore depending on whats wrong. Let us know if its the chattering sound.

Another way of testing is set the slew speed to max and try and slew, does the mount move but chatter (probably all is ok) or does it freeze and make a nasty buzzing sound (worms or motor gear not right). If its the latter my bet is either the worm gear isnt right OR theres a nasty bit of swarf stuck in one of the gears.

If it helps to get to grips with it and you have some mechanical nous and some tools I have a guide on this mount which covers these adjustments here

EQ6 Strip Down Guide

Mel

Talking to the mounts previous owner it is already set to Polaris he was abitover zealous when tightening it. He did tell me not to loosen the front and rear, but I've loosened the back bolt and actually taken it out so that setting is lost.

Sorry but it wont be 'set to Polaris' you have to adjust the mount on the night. If your only going to observe and nothing else you might get away with it but those bolts will be forever a headache as will the binding.

You still got a bargain at £400 for the scope and the mount - worst case I could fix the mount for you - I'd charge cos its a big job to sort an EQ6 out but lets say I hit you for £250 plus shipping that would bring the price to £650 against the best part of £1100 quids worth of kit.

Sorry to say this is one of the perils of 2nd hand scopes from people who are less than expert, stuff gets busted, lost and they flog it on. I guess its no different to buying a car off a learner really. You just know the clutch will be wrecked, brake pads will need replacing and the bodywork will have had a few dings :)

But as I say - you still got a bargain even with an extra hit to fix the mount - if your not convinced I would happily pay £400 for that combo as I suspect would a lot of folk on here.

The setting will have to be done for you and in your position. He had it set for his place. It will be different at yours. Maybe just a ° or so but still won't be the same.

But that's elevation/altitude. Your Azimuth (left or right) will be different every time too unless you have a pier.

Its a lot easier on the EQ6 for sure, the HEQ5 is a complete pig to tune to its best, but that assumes someone has access to tools and is confident. I have lost copunt of 'HELP' PMs to me where people have mashed threads, busted bearings etc trying to fix these mounts.

The EQ6 I stripped in that guide was easy to tune at the end of the process which was a huge relief because it was the worst job in the world to strip it. Every nut, bolt and screw was done up by King Kong :) I had stripped knuckles and busted nails galore doing it - we also had a lot of fun. Me and my eldest got quite a lot from the exercise - mum and son bonding and all that and I even forgave him for punching me in the face :D It was an accident when a spanner slipped :eek:

Oh I hear ya on that. Some of the things I was expecting to be tight were loose and some of the things I was expecting to be loose were uber tight.

I've simplified it calling it easy, to be fair. :D (trying not to giggle thinking of mum and son battling with spanners :))

SuperCharged: If you've removed one of the bolts you should be able to tilt the head on the alt axis and release the other bolt from it's grip. Unless it's badly bent.

Oh I hear ya on that. Some of the things I was expecting to be tight were loose and some of the things I was expecting to be loose were uber tight.

I've simplified it calling it easy, to be fair. :D (trying not to giggle thinking of mum and son battling with spanners :))

SuperCharged: If you've removed one of the bolts you should be able to tilt the head on the alt axis and release the other bolt from it's grip. Unless it's badly bent.

Sy

It's badly bent I can just see it ... He's actually offered to give my money back if I'm not happy . Thing is I want to keep and and was looking forward to using it on Sunday cloud permitting .

Supercharged, being very blunt you would be foolish to return the setup for a refund. You've acquired a system that can be very capable for a fraction of what it should cost secondhand.

Even paying to get the mount fixed and tuned will still see you in profit when you come to sell it on, just make sure you invest in some stainless steel replacement bolts from astrodevelopments once you've got the bolt freed.

If you're on a similar Latitude you may be able to slightly turn to get the correct latitude for you position.

You paid £400 not just for the mount but for the scope too so it's well worth keeping hold of it. Like AB says...if you do need it repaired by someone else...you're still in the money.

If it's bent so it can't come out you can still tilt the head away and maybe use a hacksaw blade to patiently cut the bolt from the inside and it'll fall out one side and screw out the other. :)

I made replacement handles for under a few quid (using various things including M10 bolts). None of this £30 nonsense :D

If your in doubt on this - I will pay you £450 for it and come collect it - you make £50 for doing nothing. I mean it too - You'd be mad to hand it back or take my offer but if I dont make an offer someone else might :)

Sorry to the rest of the forum for seeming grabby - I am - I'm a woman after all :D

Seriously at the very worst I would charge £250 for repair and rebuild cos it is time intensive but you'd still be in profit. I mean it though if you want rid - tell you what I'll make it £500 and thats a real serious offer but one you would be mad to accept.

If you seriously paid 400 for an eq6 and scope. You would be mad to had it back. I used ABs guide to dismantling my eq6 and its not too bad as long as you are carefull and take lots of photos/notes.

Worst case you can pay someone to fix it...400 for an eq6?? Blimey.

Remember to get the small bearings changed if you get someone else to do a tune. Nobody mentions these but they're the nastiest part of the worm drive. Cost a few quid and until you try quality bearings next to budget ones you'd be forgiven for thinking nothing was wrong :)

Don't throw you money away though. I hope the GPS helps you. Just my very humble opinion but it's a completely overpriced item.

I would recommend you hold on tight to the scope and mount supercharged but before you go spending anymore money you should at least get to your local astronomy club and get some viewing in with a club scope. If you are certain this combo and astronomy are for you then AB's offer should be considered as she should be able to fix any problems and get the mount slewing like butter. I spent 5hrs sorting out my EQ5 getting all the parts skimmed and re-greased so I imagine a EQ6 takes a lot longer and if you don't know what you are doing it would take what seems an eternity. Have you had a look through the scope, checked mirrors etc ?? if you are going to have the same issues with the scope due to the original owners lack of care then it may be worth selling the setup on for a profit to someone who has the knowledge to fix the faults and the money made from the sale could be put towards a more user friendly beginner scope. I did mention that this setup would be frustrating for a beginner, but you will get used to it if it's what you want.

I hope none of this is putting you off astronomy as most hobbies have their techno problems these days. I don't even know half the functions on my phone they have to make everything so complicated. All I want is to be able to ring people and receive calls.

I have decided to let it go to a good home. I'm going back to plan A and looking to buy a Celestron NexStar 6SE

Thanks to Astro-baby it couldn't have gone to a better buyer.

Archived