Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Can I see any domes on the moon?

Ags

I would say the minimum instrutment to observe lunar domes is a 4" refractor or a 6" dob.

The best domes are around the Marius Hills, Rumker, and the craters Milichius and Hortensius.

Download Virtual Moon Atlas.

Click on the right-hand panel marked, INFORMATION. Under the heading, OBSERVATION, it will tell you the minimum aperature required for any of the moon features.

It`s free.

I've certainly seen Domes with my 80mm birdwatching scope, the Arago Domes. I found these not knowing they were there, wondered if they were domes and found that they were. Here is a pic I have taken since (not with a 80mm scope). The lighting of course has to be absolutely right - i.e. they need to be next to the terminator. The domes are labelled on the map using the greek letters alpha and beta.

Dave

post-14654-133877515228_thumb.jpg

I've certainly seen Domes with my 80mm birdwatching scope, the Arago Domes. I found these not knowing they were there, wondered if they were domes and found that they were. Here is a pic I have taken since (not with a 80mm scope). The lighting of course has to be absolutely right - i.e. they need to be next to the terminator. The domes are labelled on the map using the greek letters alpha and beta.

Dave

Cracking post Dave. Definitive!

Olly

I think the key to seeing domes is appropriate lighting. they can really stand out or disappear depending on the angle of light. obviously more aperture and good seeing helps. I hope you see some and bet you will. the ones mentioned by Mick are the ones I have seen best - really nice too.

I love those domes Dave, but as you say that wasn't taken with an 80mm scope. Did the view dither much from that though?

It is difficult to remember precisely, but they were sufficiently clear at a magnification of 80 for me to suspect that I was seeing domes. I wasn't looking for them at the time as I'd not seen them before. This was about 10 years ago when my only scope was my birdwatching scope.

Dave

Archived