My new purchase ......

Talking to one of my clients today about my new hobby today I was offered a skywatcher Explorer 250 with an EQ6 Pro mount for £400 !!! He has only used it 4 times it's 18 months old and been sat in loft for the last 18 months ! It comes with an array of extra lenses , power pack and other things I have no idea what they are. The one thing he can't find is the instruction books and DVD for the EQ.

Now I think this maybe out of my league but for that price I bought it anyway. He claims the lot probably cost him over £2k?. He is one of those people that money is no object and he gets bored easily so cuts his loses at the end of the day .

All I know it's a beast of a scope , will I be able to get the instruction book and video from somewhere ? It really does sort my dilemma of trying to choose a telescope and all I need to dois learn how to use it.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just been reading a post of someone who bought one last March and other owners say it's a nightmare to use ?

As for the price it was a real steal and I will persevere and learn to use it somehow . As a beginner I feel like I've jumped in the deep end lol

A bargain yes, but the dob will be easier for visual :-)

Oh yeah i agree with that but i want to do basic photography lol, i can deal with that for now though and im still happy with my choice :) going to get an eq mount in the future... Let us know how you get on with it supercharged :eek:

To do the firmware updates to I need to connect the EQ controller to my PC ? If so he's lost the cable that does that but does seem to have a telephone cable with a Pc plug in the box?

To do the firmware updates to I need to connect the EQ controller to my PC ? If so he's lost the cable that does that but does seem to have a telephone cable with a Pc plug in the box?

Nope that's the one that attaches to the mount you'll need a serial cable. Check out this pdf: http://www.skywatchertelescope.net/swtsupport/Firmwares/Updating%20the%20SynScan%20Firmware.pdf

Will do Sammy , I maybe selling it in a weeks time lol

So joking aside it's a good buy and relatively easy to use then ?

LOL.......Seeing bargains like this makes the pain of paying full price the harder to bear:icon_scratch:.

I am about to drop 900 notes on a new EQ6 in the next couple of weeks....if you seriously want to get something a bit easier to use then get in touch!

Brilliant bargain - here's your manual - and the sysnscan manual is on the same site :eek:

http://www.skywatchertelescope.net/swtsupport/Instruction_Manuals/HEQ5andEQ6130405V1.pdf

Big thanks!I'm lost for words ! I'm a member of a few forums ( other hobbies im involved in ) and none are anywhere as friendly as this one ! I'm really pleaded I joined and I hope I'm not bugging you all with the repetitious questions that all nwebies ask

A great buy but it will be a handful - I put my 10" newtonian on an EQ mount a while back - turned into a bit of a beast - it's back on the non-driven alt-az mount now and much easier to use.

I'm only into visual though - for imaging you do need a good solid EQ mount - and you have got one pretty much for free there !.

as to bugging us I know that I have asked similar questions in the past and received help. I think its fair to say we are delighted to see you here and look forward to hearing more from you I hope you enjoy your new scope and if you cant get on with it I'll take it for £401 and a big apple

Archived