Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Power Supply for EQ6

johnb

Hi John,

I tend to use one of these from Maplins: 13.8V 15A18A Max Switched Mode PSU Free Delivery : Bench Power Supplies : Maplin

and on star camps have it set up inside a box to stop any condensation/dew/spilages causing a hazard.

Stargazers Lounge - MG1's Album: Hub & Tidy Cable - Picture

It's a 15/18A supply which may be a little ott, but as Dave mentioned by the time you strap on dew heaters for two scopes, rdf's and cameras you're up to 7Aish + the mount 2A + cam + possible mini hair dryer to clear any heavy dew if I forget to set the heaters high enough! :eek:

Has made the world of difference!

Michael

I bought a 12v 5A power supply from Ebay for around £12 (sometimes called LCD monitor power supplies - just make sure output regulated), also bought a 1-5 extender from maplin for about £4 so have 5x 12v jack outputs - no issues to date.

Just make sure if using mains supply to use RCD trip device for safety, will ensure cuts out if any problems occur - you can pick one up for about £5-10

John

If you intend using a mains PSU, please ensure that it is either rated for external use or you take adequate precautions to avoid it getting moisture into the works. Bench PSU's are not designed for external use (there's a clue in the name!) and are designed with vent slots to dissipate the heat. Conversely these vent slots alsoallow rain & moisture to enter. Inside each bench PSU is a very large transformer with 240v passing through it. They go off with a very loud bang in contact with water

The best for external use are the small sealed unit types.You'll need one rated at least 3 amps outputting 12v nominal (which means up to about 13.8v) and it's best that it is a 'regulated' supply and not switched mode.

HTH

Steve

Steve is (excuse the pun) BANG on there... hence why mine stays in a box with sealed 12v connectors and a grommeted cable entry...obviously it's not properly IP rated, but there is little chance of it being out in anything other than the tiniest spots of rain and the heat from the unit itself prevents any dew/frost build up on the box itself.

even so, it never goes outside the tent at star parties and it is also connected to a rcd....I think I've covered the bases but if anyone wants to point out and 'potential death trap' scenarios I need to consider, please do as one may ocassionally overlook the bleedin' obvious sometimes when focusing on the extraordinary.

Best wishes

Michael

Archived