Small aperture on lens caps – What’s it for?

I have often wondered. I had a Newt reflector back in the late 70’s and that had one. Both my SW 200P & SW ST80 have small apertures in the lens caps. I can only assume it’s for aperture reduction?

Thanks for looking.

Pete

Hi Pete - yes you can use it to reduce aperture. Looking at the moon anywhere between full and half, can be very bright and blinding. I replace the main cap and take the small one off to reduce the glare.

It can also be used to change the focal ratio slightly - but I never worked out by how much lol :(

(edited "focal length" to "focal ratio")

If you use the hole to reduce the aperture the focal ratio of the scope is changed but not the focal length.

Eg: you have a 200mm aperture scope with a focal length of 1200mm - an F/5 focal ratio. You put the end cover on the scope and view through a 50mm hole. You are now using a 50mm scope with a focal length of 1200mm ie: an F/24.

The downside is that your resolution, light grasp and contrast is reduced to that of a 50mm scope as well, so no "free lunch" :(

I have this small aperture opening on the lens cap of my SW 200p F/6 dob which I assume is for fitting of a solar film filter for white light solar viewing.

It isn't specifically designed for that purpose but lots of people use it for just that - it's certainly convenient provided you can absolutely guarantee that the solar film is safely affixed.

Thanks for the correction John - yes it's focal ratio. I know one or two people who use an aperture mask with 2 or 3 different sized apertures for that purpose. Mostly large dob owners :(

No probs :)

I think stopping down the aperture can be useful but the holes in the dust caps that I've seen are generally on the small side. The 150mm F/8 Skywatcher refractors have a more useful aperture cap which opens up a hole around 112mm in diameter giving an F/10.7 scope which is quite nicely colour corrected, although still with the bulk of the 150 OTA though.

It isn't specifically designed for that purpose but lots of people use it for just that - it's certainly convenient provided you can absolutely guarantee that the solar film is safely affixed.

If not for solar, what was the hole designed for apart from increasing the f/ratio and lowering the resolution?

...The 150mm F/8 Skywatcher refractors have a more useful aperture cap which opens up a hole around 112mm in diameter giving an F/10.7 scope which is quite nicely colour corrected, although still with the bulk of the 150 OTA though.

Doh ! - I've just realized how unnecessary the above highlighted line is - as if anyone is going to think that removing a small plastic cap will reduce the size of the whole scope :(

One too many glasses of wine here I think :)

a 50mm hole is way too small to be an advantage for observing anything but the Sun or Moon. Even for this purpose, the small apperture is a waste of resolution...

But in a larger scope, like a 12" or larger reflector, you can arrange a off-center hole, around 90mm or 100mm. When you rotate the cap so that the light path entering the hole misses the secondary mirror and spider vanes, this off-axis hole will work as a 90mm or 100mm long focus unobstructed telescope that will give you razor sharp views of planets or close double stars.

what was the hole designed for apart from increasing the f/ratio

Nothing, just that! Increasing the focal ratio reduces the light capture making it easier to view bright objects - I use it to cut down the brightness of the Moon without using a Moon filter.

Thanks guys for a very detailed and comprehensive explanation. Next time I look at the moon, I will give it a whirl. Steve - nice tip with the parking on the “false cap”

Once again, thank you.

Archived