Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First scope + what else?

Hi all & Happy New year (nearly),

I've been observing with my 15x70 binos for quite a while now & have seen some great views, it ceases to amaze me that each time I observe I usually have a "wow" moment.

Anyway, I'm seriously considering getting a first scope & have basically chosen the Skywatcher Explorer 150P EQ3-2 for planetary and DSO observing with potential to try some photography in the future.

Asided from the scope & mount, what else should I consider??

My thoughts are:

1) Collimator eyepiece

2) Red LED torch (not got one yet but have a Petzl headtorch (bulb version) I may modify with red filter)

3) Dew shield - type?

4) Extra eyepieces?

5) Filters?

6) Matting when on lawn?

Future upgrades:

1) Tracking motor drive

2) Cannon DSLR camera mount / focus

Any suggestions would be welcome, then onto Flo me thinks :(

Thanks

Chris

There are simply dozens of different accessories that you might find useful however my advice would be to restrict it to i) a collimation tool such as a cheshire eyepiece and ii) a good star atlas.

Once you have the scope and have used it for a while, you will have a much clearer idea of what accessories will be useful to you. The classified section and the UK Astro Ad's pages are full of accessories that "seemed a good idea at the time" :(

Would you consider the 150PL instead of the 150P.

The 150P is f/5 and it will need better collimation, more time doing it, and eyepieces for an f/5 also need to be better, more expensive. Especially if you start wanting higher magnifications on planets.

As a first scope the 150PL is easier to get along with. Not sure of the f number of the 150PL but I didn't think it was greatly different to the 150P, f/7 ??, but enough to make a difference in every day use.

Other then that the list covers the bits you need, I would tend to get the motors sooner rather then later, they make moving round the sky easier for you. Oh yes, motors will want a power source.

Just thought: Does the EQ3-2 come with a polar scope for alignment? Check when ordering.

Thanks for all the replies, sound advice as ever!

The DSLR I have at present is a cannon 350d, taken some images of the stars at the grand canyon, 20-30 min exposures, but thats about it & would be for future imaging but probably have a go on the moon straight away when i get the scope :eek:

Archived