What difference

will I see (or not is the case!) between the 150p and the 200p Skywatcher Skyliner Dobsonian. There is a £100 difference in price and I wondered if as a newbie I will see a distinct difference in what I will see from either telescope. This is the first scope that I will be purchasing and I want to purchase a scope that will last until I can progress in the hobby and afford something more advanced.

Best wishes

Paulie

You certainly will see a difference!! The main advantage is the greater area of the main mirror which means that you "collect more light". You will get better views of DSO's - and see ones that you won't see at all in the 150!. Although magnification is not so important in astronomy you will be able to usefully use higher magnifications on the Moon and Planets with the 200P as well. Either way you are investing in optics rather than an expensive mount - the sensible way to go IMHO.

As time goes on you could mount your scope tube on an Equatorial mount so that motorised tracking would be possible or , if you are feeling rich, goto and other posh toys are possibilities.

Both scopes are an excellent choice and you will see much in the 150mm but a lot more detail in the 200mm as it has 77% more light gathering capabilities, its the old adage aperture wins, your 200mm will come into its own when you want to progress to hunting down DSO and it should be possible, with the aid of some types of filters, and a dark site, to bring out some of the finer detail, but remember, its not Hubble, and you will not see the amazing images that you find in illustrations, but never the less it is a very rewarding experience and well worth the extra money IMHO.

Thanks for the advice guys. I live on Bodmin moor so the night sky is as dark as it gets. I see lots of things with my 10x50 bins already and can see five moons around Jupiter. I mount the bins on a tripod otherwise its like I have had ten pints :p These last few weeks the sky has been fantastic but you cant stay out that long before freezing to the chair :) It looks like its the 200p for me then!

Best wishes

Paulie

Interesting question! is there a place on here where we might see the direct comparison between a 150 or 200 of the same object (moon or dso) or other scopes too?

It might make my decision of which to buy a little easier too

Interesting question! is there a place on here where we might see the direct comparison between a 150 or 200 of the same object (moon or dso) or other scopes too?

It might make my decision of which to buy a little easier too

It's not really possible to do that accurately because what the individual sees varies a lot depending on seeing conditions, experience, state of scope collimation, quality of eyepieces etc, etc.

The 8" aperture gathers 77% more light than the 150mm so it has the potential to deliver more resolution, more contrast and see fainter objects but to precisely simulate what you might see could be misleading I feel.

My general experience is that the effects of the additional aperture show themselves most on deep sky objects more than the moon and planets.

As your interest grows it is inevitable that you will hunger for more aperture - 8" will keep you satisfied that bit longer I guess :(

Hi Paulie,

When I bought my 8" Dob eleven years ago, I promised myself that if I finished the two observing lists I was working on then I would buy a 12" Dob. Well, I recently finished those lists, and yet I'm in no rush to upgrade. The 8" is, in many ways, the perfect scope.

Thanks for everbodies help and I will definitely be purchasing the 200p because of recommendations from other owners. My only concern was that I would have to find my own way around the sky but I think the visual benefits of this scope will far outweigh the cons of learning to navigate the sky myself.

I find that learning to navigate the sky is a all part of the fun

Totally agree with this statement, plus the 200P is a fantastic scope, I used to have the 150P, but managed to upgrade to a bargain 200P for only £25, just lucky I guess.

Don't get me wrong though, the 150P is still a fantastic scope, and I saw many amazing sights through it, but I caught aperture fever, and the 200P was too good a bargan to miss.... :(

Archived