Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

300D and windows

Earl

As im sure many are aware the 300D is not supported by Windows 7:(.

Now i'd like to use this as my primary camera as its Modded.

So I would like to ask, what controls etc do you get from have it hooked up to an XP machine?

I know there is no live view.

I dont fancy installing XP to find out the advantages are not worth the 5 hours it will probably take to update.. blah blah

I have a 450D but know some-one who I helped set up a 300D and told him to get Canon Utility (which works on XP and Vista). He tells me it works fine.

what controls etc do you get from have it hooked up

Not quiet sure what the question is, but I think you are asking what controls are you able to acquire.

You should be able to control the camera from the desk top, change settings and takes subs etc, and view images you have taken as you go along.

On mine I can set a timer to do a number of subs anything from a few seconds to many hours long (if you wanted such a thing), however I know some Canon's cannot be set to do subs as long as that, not sure if it's the model or the software they have. So you will need to check with a 300D user.

300D and windows

So I would like to ask, what controls etc do you get from have it hooked up to an XP machine?

I dont fancy installing XP to find out the advantages are not worth the 5 hours it will probably take to update..

Are you sure you can install XP on a Windows 7 machine, as I tried to get my Vista changed to XP (by an expert) and he found it wasn't possible and also the techguys in Currys told me it wasn't possible either.

the 300D is not supported by Windows 7

This is so annoying. I have a webcam I cannot use on Vista (no drivers) and so have to have an old XP running for planetary as well.

Hope some of this helps.

Carole

Are you sure you can install XP on a Windows 7 machine, as I tried to get my Vista changed to XP (by an expert) and he found it wasn't possible and also the techguys in Currys told me it wasn't possible either.

Piece of cake :)

The Hard Drive can be formated and a new OS installed.

you could add a partition and install XP into the 2nd partition. It's pretty simple to do using something like EasyBCD to handle the boot up. I did it to my Toshiba i7 Win7 64-bit laptop because there was some software that just didn't like win7. Since then I've found alternative software that runs under win7 so the xp partition was removed again.

It might be simpler to just use a remote timer on the 300D and live with the limitations until you upgrade your camera.

I dont fancy installing XP to find out the advantages are not worth the 5 hours it will probably take to update.. blah blah

Install VMWare Player (free) Install XP inside the virtual machine, job done. And it's easy to do. :)

Windows 7 has an XP emulator...I believe! Windows XP mode. Probably what the guys above are saying :)

Windows XP Mode is only available for 7 Professional and above.

VMWare Player has no such restrictions, pretty much any Widows OS can be host and you can install and run any number of guest operating systems inside a host OS (Even Linux inside Windows and vise versa.)

VMWare Player is free for personal use and is IMO very user friendly.

Archived