Halp!! Polar Alignment Scope Bolt is Snapped

Hi All I had a small accident with my EQ3-2 a few weeks after I got it.

It fell over in the dead of night (I swear I've not woken up so fast in a long time).

The upshot is that it bent the thumb bolt on the dovetail mount, and sheared one of the screws that hold the polar scope in place.

At the time, I wasn't so bothered as I didn't have a polar alignment scope, but for christmas my Dad has brought me one.

Getting the sheared end out isn't a problem as there is still some of the end of the bolt sticking out, my problem is more of a "what do I replace it with" nature.

Can anyone think of a source of these bolts online/does anyone know what thread/size bolts I need, or is my best hope to find a nice local hardware store and take my mount along to try screws for size?

Cheers,

Matt H

They are sure to be standard metric threads so you just need to buy the right ones from a pattern (another bolt) or just go and buy a few that look about right and hope for the best.They are available in hardware stores (proper ones that deal with the trade) or even nut and bolt suppliers. Google or Yellow Pages will find them.

Olly

If you carefully measure the dia of the broken/bent bolts with a metric rule, they will mostly go in even numbers ie, Metric 3mm 4mm 5mm etc, you will be able to obtain stainless steel replacements, even if they need cutting to length, from Tek hardware an ebay seller who has thousands of stainless bolts screws washers nuts etc in stock.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived