New supplier of US sourced equipment ?

John

• 2 years later...

I have spoke to Sha ... and seemed a decent chap, he was going to sort out sourcing me a CGE Pro .. infact he found a used one for me, then the Tax man stepped in with a tax demand :lipsrsealed: :lipsrsealed: .... That Idea was shelved until I sort out Tax but he did say that he would sort out imports,tax etc and If the item turned up with monies outstanding he picked up the bill.

Now since you cannot buy Celestron direct from companies in the USA ( they had a sale on with the CGE Pro for $4000 but all the companies I spoke to will not ship to UK....D Hinds is the importer and has the monopoly and sets the price :lipsrsealed: :lipsrsealed: ) but Sha would buy, ship to his house (companies provide free shipping within the US) then ship onwards to uk ... while making himself some profit but its still going to be cheaper than UK prices by about £1000 for new.

Once my Tax is sorted that's the road I will go down.....

As for my tax bill ... in this day and age it would be 3 tax inspectors turn up at the manger not wise men as they are wise and would have kept a low profile.... many thanks Tax office for totally screwing up my tax (they think I have been in receipt of my pension for the last 3 years ..even the pensions department have told them NO) Heyho another week wasted on the phone and filling out returns :lipsrsealed: :lipsrsealed: :lipsrsealed: :lipsrsealed: :lipsrsealed:

Thanks for this John. I feel your pain and anguish as I had the same problem years ago trying to import a large SCT from the good 'ol US of A. Must say contact with officialdom in the UK while slow was polite and helpful but the refusal of any US retailer to sell to the UK (because of dealership arrangements) eventually meant I couldn't go ahead. Since then of course many tax workers have been sacked and tax law hasn't got any simpler-no wonder they make errors.

As for your contact you need to be sure of things before parting with any money!!

Cheers,

Steve

There is a major US Celestron retailer who lists on eBay and will ship to the UK. You obviously havevto cover tax and import duty and you hav to return warranty repairs to the US but if you ar willing to pu up with all that then major savings still to be had....

If that is Handsonoptics ... nope spoke to them they did have the Pro shown on Ebay so mailed them , will not ship to UK :huh:

That's odd, they happily supplied my HD11 and CGEM DX... Perhaps they got their wrists slapped...

Archived