NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

1000d dslr from friend but with problem

garethmob

hey guys

iv got a offer from a friend whos got a 1000d canon

hes offering me 180 for it but it got a problem, it turns on fine but if you turn it off it wont turn back on unless the batterys are removed first and placed back in.

any ideas how much a repair would be or even if its liveable with the problem/worth it

thanks guys

Speaking as someone who would not have to, I suspect it would be liveable with.

Usually when I am using my canon, it is switched on at the start of the session, and not switched off until I finish. If for some reason you did need to switch it off (I sometimes have to if moving between front & back of house) it would be a ten second job to open the flap, release the clip and push it back in.

Another thought might be to consider a mains replacement (available from Astronomiser)

My 2p ...

Just been googling... and it looks like it might be a firmware related issue (at least on the 550d... if so, it's a very simple and free fix...

Re: 550D: Battery discharging and camera won't turn on: Canon EOS 1000D / 550D - 300D Forum: Digital Photography Review

Canon EOS REBEL XS / 1000D Firmware Update

but... There's also a possibility it's this.

Canon eos rebel won't turn on, charged the - FixYa

Just been googling... and it looks like it might be a firmware related issue (at least on the 550d... if so, it's a very simple and free fix...

Re: 550D: Battery discharging and camera won't turn on: Canon EOS 1000D / 550D - 300D Forum: Digital Photography Review

Canon EOS REBEL XS / 1000D Firmware Update

but... There's also a possibility it's this.

Canon eos rebel won't turn on, charged the - FixYa

the first link you showed seems to be the problem..... hmm really tempted now!

thanks guys i decided to pass on the offer this time. i worked it out that the camera was 180 it didnt have a battery or charger (he kept them for his 450d which apparently they also worked in) so battery an charger would be about £15 bringing it to 195 for another 100 i could buy a brand new one with out the battery problem gonna save for that i thinks

thanks for the advice guys :)

Archived