Stargazers LoungeĀ Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_lunar_close-ups.thumb.jpg.88a09e422111459fcea8be71befc7874.jpg

SiriusB

Hardest Messier object?

I struggled with M83 for quite a while, not because it isn't bright enough but because the low altitude makes it almost disappear due to atmospheric extinction. I finally managed to see it a few weeks ago with my 8" from a really dark spot (latitude 53 deg N, altitude just over 7 deg) but it was very, very subtle. Saw M74 on the same night, also not really standing out but a lot easier than M83.

I heard M83 is not that difficult and a beautiful sight when it rises high enough.

M101 drove me mad šŸ˜¬, all those nights in my backyard with a 70mm achromatic refractor searching for hours and hours fighting a unwinnable battle. 2 years later under a dark sky with a 120mm refractor there she was, still a faint fuzzy. It's still a struggle for me.

• Like 1

Quite a few of us have been there. It took me weeks to see this galaxy in an 8".

16 hours ago, Waddensky said:

I heard M83 is not that difficult and a beautiful sight when it rises high enough.

Last month I was in California on a mountain top close to the Lick Observatory. M83 was very easy in some 12x70 binoculars and even better in a 9.25 Celestron SCT.

Ā 

• Like 1