NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Thoughts on Meade lunar/planetary imager?

Astroblagger

Hello I was just wandering what people thought of the meade LPI if any one has had one, or has used one previously? I was out this morning trying to image saturn and venus without much sucess. Using it with a 10" scope, its the only webcam imager iv used so iv got nothing to compare it with. Personally i think its c**p, I tried imaging jupiter with it before also got a resonable image but nothing great. Think it might be going on ebay soon! Any coments apprecited.

I had one in the past. I got excellent results on the moon, but not so good on planets. With hindsight, I think this may have been more due to the image capture software than the cam itself. Have you tried it with SharpCap (see links in the imaging section - it's free!)?

The Autosuite that comes with it, IIRC, does not allow much adjustment of the levels, which tens to make it over expose bright objects. SharpCap should fix this and, ultimately, give better results.

I didn't know about SharpCap when I started out and thought it was the cam's limitations. I upgraded to an Orion SSSI, which is slightly more sensitive. I also have a Philips SPC900 and a SPC900 long exposure, but I have yet to have a free clear night to try them out :)

never used one myself,but the spc900 is every bit as good and cheaper by all accounts.it would certainly be better using a different image capture software such as sharpcap or wxastrocapture.

imaging planets and other heavenly delights is not as easy as it seems and does require for most of us a steep learning curve and plenty of patience! not too mention as it took me a while to realize good seeing/imaging conditions! not as common as you would think good imaging conditions are not too be confused with a nice clear night,its more about stable atmospheric conditions. keep trying you will get there in the end,and finally good luck

On the beginners imaging day the Made LPI was mentioned.

On other cameras (most) the image is taken and then the software eg registax selects the top 70% for stacking.

Seems that on the Meade LPI you can tell it to only keep/accept the best 70% and it dumps the others. In effect you get less images but all of decent quality. Then something like Registax is told to stack all of whatver it is presented with since it is fed a series of good images only.

A subtle difference, but worth being aware of, and if wrong go kill someone on the imaging day course.

My imaging started out with the Meade LPI. For lunar imaging I can't fault it. I was very happy with the mosaics I did of the moon. As has previously been said, better results can be obtained from it using Sharpcap for planetary. I still have it in my box and would use it if I fancy taking lunar shots.

:) Have to admit with the philips spc 880 still being sold for 9.99

flash it to the 900.. add the 1.25 adapator for another 10 pounds...

so around 20 pounds sterling gets you a great astrocam...

Or you opt for the 100 pounds plus neximage or LPI... heh

You gotta be a bit crazy not to go for the first option, just an

opinion of course...:D

Archived