Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Tingling Camera

jgs001

Last night, I went to try my first set of tethered shooting. I plugged everything in, and was rather surprised to find, that when adjusting the camera settings, the body of the camera gave me a weird tingly sensation. The only cable connected was a USB cable to my Laptop. I promptly pulled the lead from the camera and the tingling stopped. I've no clue why this should happen, nothing else has ever caused tingling.

Anyone have any ideas ? Do you think it might be the USB lead ?

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's what I was thinking Steve, but I'm not sure why USB would have enough power in it to do that.

Pete it was, but I've never had a tingle from any other part of any piece of kit, since using mains. Only the camera when plugged in via USB to the laptop, and it stopped as soon as I unplugged the USB cable.

The mains is all RCD'd. I don't get shocks from the mount, the legs, scopes, mount head etc. I don't get shocks from the laptop or the QHY5v. I've run in this config many many times. The only time I got a shock was when I added the USB cable from the laptop to the SLR.

The QHY5v and the mount are both connected via USB (The mount with an Opto Isolator) to the same laptop I connected the 450d to.

So are you saying that the addition of a third USB cable from the laptop to the combined rig caused the issue ? And why would the tingle only happen from the SLR ? The SLR was running with the normal canon battery and not a mains isolator.

That would have to be through the lens mount Kev, the tripod thread isn't connected to anything. So are we looking at the laptop power supply or the mount power supply ?
It could be either unless one is a battery. There is, imo, obviously some AC floating around on the earth which you are feeling on the camera/mount.

Can you temporarily run one off dc? and see if that changes things

How about a cable from the tripod mount on the camera to a pipe style earth connection on the tripod?

Personally I would be looking to find and remove the fault rather than working around the problem. The camera and mount are already electrically bonded together via the lens mounting thread.

Connecting the tripod mount to earth via a spike would probably cure the problem but not remove the fault, what happens if you forget or move onto a concrete surface?

The best answer is to run off pure dc from a battery, end of problem.

Obviously I meant that it was a bit bizarre for ones camera to be tingling, a very strange occurance indeed. :)

Just to add I also experienced this a while back with my camera attached to my laptop which was powered on the mains but only on the NEQ6, when using it on my Manfrotto tripod which has rubber feet I get nothing.

When its cold and everything starts getting wet and frosty you are then completing circuits in other ways. Just a thought.

I get that it's one of the mains supplies, but I don't get it why I should only get a shock from the camera, not the scope or mount legs etc, I'd have thought if it was the mount power supply, then I'd gt the tingle from the mount or scope too...

Archived