Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Total Lunar Eclipse on December 21

Leegsi

Although I don't know if the weather will permit, I'm gonna try to see this through my binocs. Will the shadow obliterate all detail in the lunar surface?

Rabbithutch - you will still see the detail but the surface should take on a red colour and it will obviously be dimmer.

Just blown the dust off my trusty old nautical almanac. The umbral eclipse begins at 0632 and ends at 1002. Totality lasts from 0740 until 0854. These times are accurate if you are on the Greenwich Meridian. Sunrise that morning will be about 0800 depending on your latitude and longitude in the UK. Moonset will be about 0815.

Well, I guess I hadn't thought deeply enough about how a lunar eclipse differs from a solar eclipse. Having experienced both, I knew that the effects were quite different - like, well, night and day; but I hadn't really thought about where the shadows fall in each case.

I, too, would like to witness the eclipse from the moon. That would be an awesome view.

Thanks to all who responded.

Archived