Astro photos with Skyliner 250px

Hi guys,

I know its early days, however at some point in the near future i would like to take decent pics from my scope, and actualy make it my primary goal and interest.

i have the 250px dob just now, and know Astrophotography can cost a lot. I just want to know what is the minimum needed, budgets not too bad. I have the 250px if i bought a good mount and DSLR camera, thinking will use them for years?

Thanks

I'd think the EQ6 is more likely for that beast... I'd have thought the weight on the HEQ5 would be too close to the upper limit of the mount. By the time you've added the camera, and possibly guide scope and camera etc... the weight is gonna be way up there. I can't work out what the tube weight is, the skywatcher website lists it at 2.37 Kg, but that doesn't sound right as the 200 is listed as 8.75Kg... (should that be 12.37 Kg??).

Either way, if you get the SynTrek version you'll get the right drives etc for a full guided setup at some point in the future.

EQ6 with synscan or standard with eqdir/rajiva mod

Skywatcher coma corrector

dslr

dslr adaptor

Astrophotography tool (because it's great :) )

If it's the DOB then you will need OTA rings and dovetail. You may also require a new focuser or alternatively move the mirror up the scope a little to gain enough inward focus.

would the HEQ5 be suitable and will it have to be the tracking version? Or would i be better getting a skyiner 250px flextube Auto and look at possibly selling my dob?

Can't do long exposures on that autotracking Dob mount. Motorise an Alt/Az and it'll track, but you still have field rotation. You can use it to do webcam imaging of planets, though.

And equatorial platform will also work (and actually be very useful outside of phptography). It doesn't have field rotation, but polar aligning them is a pain and unless you get a very, very expensive one you won't be doing very long exposures either (I have a photo of M1 taken on my platform, but it's using just 30 second subs).

Why not keep your Dob and get a second scope to image? Perhaps an EQ5 and a small refractor, to start imaging with wide fields of view?

Personally, I find the HEQ5 more than a bit light for a 10" Newt. 8" SCT, OK. 8" Newt, if it's short. 10" Newt,...

EQ6 with synscan or standard with eqdir/rajiva mod

Skywatcher coma corrector

dslr

dslr adaptor

Astrophotography tool (because it's great :) )

I would add:

ST80 guide scope

Guidescope rings

SPC880/900 webcam for guiding (cheapest option) or dedicated guide cam

Sorry, more cost! It's an expensive game.

Thanks Lukebl, yeah seems so, it aint half an expensive game! well suppose the initial outlay will do me for years tho?

Was reading up on guide scopes today, are they a must? At first i was thinking i would try just with the DSLR and finderscope but dunno if thats possible?

What camera would you recommend? Kinda £350 max ish

Thanks Lukebl, yeah seems so, it aint half an expensive game! well suppose the initial outlay will do me for years tho?

Was reading up on guide scopes today, are they a must? At first i was thinking i would try just with the DSLR and finderscope but dunno if thats possible?

What camera would you recommend? Kinda £350 max ish

Guides scopes are a must, but that lot would set you up nicely. A Canon 1000 or 450 would be in your price range, or someone might be able to advise on a cooled CCD (not sure if you could get a decent one in the price range, though)

I recently set myself up. Get the book first, stopped me buying the wrong kit.

I'd suggest a small refractor on a goto mount (HEQ5 or NEQ6 - definately the latter if you persist with your large Newtonian). I bought a Skywatcher Equinox 80 and HEQ5 Pro. Though I now always control the mount via a laptop and EQMOD/ASCOM via a cheap adapter, so you could save £100 and get the Syntrek version of your mount rather than the goto. You also need a powertank of some kind - look to Maplins and buy what's on offer.

You'll want a guidescope (ST80 or finderguider) and guide camera. Together with a way of mounting the guidescope. I went with a finderguider and QHY5.

You'll want a camera and a way of attaching it. You may want a field flattener. You may want a light pollution filter. I went with a Canon 450D and TeleVue TRF-2008.

You'll want a netbook/laptop (unless you have an observatory, in which case you can use a desktop). You'll need software (much is free, or cheap).

I spent a bit under £2k. Some bits were used, some new. I already had a spare netbook. I spent another £1k on eye pieces and diagonals, which I hardly use but thought that I would want to actually look on occasion, especially when other people come around! The vast majority are used, so I expect to recoup almost all my money when I come to sell them on. I also got a cheap red dot finder and illuminated plossl to help with alignment.

My BEST investment was a 12m USBto 4 point hub cable, so that I can setup and then move my laptop inside so I don't have to stay cold.

The only think I am missing now are dewstrips, which are next on the list.

Archived