Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

was it Venus this morning?

bcfcciderhead

Been wanting to get up early for a while now to view Saturn and this morning was the day, very clear skies but -3, got to observing site (which is the way to work) and set up, noticed a large band of fog moving in but i had about 45 mins before this got to me.

Think i found Venus (looking south) it was the brightest "star" in the sky, the view with my 10mm ep was a bright disk and what looked like something in transit with it, it looked like a half moon, no detail to it just very bright.

As for Saturn, no joy failed to find it, at this point my 2 finders were all dewed up and starting to ice (Telrad/optical finder) and had ice to form on the ota, so was time to go to work.

Gutted i could not find Saturn i thought it was an easy one to locate?, oh well try again soon:iamwithstupid:

It's in the right position to be Venus but your description doesn't sound right. When ever I've observed Venus you can see a phase like a crescent moon but I have never seen an object in transit around it.

Well done though in getting up early I can never do that, too lazy :D

Glad to help dave, was only looking for answer to that question myself this morning. Looked at it through the window this morning, just no way to safely get the scope out at moment. The patio is a ice skaters dream at present.:D Am not prepared to risk crossing it to get to the lawn.

I know what you mean, this morning i used a layby on a little lane i can use for work, not to bad as the salt has been on it, but the main place i go to observe is up a steep lane to a good hill, very dark and 360 degree views, but this lane always has water running down it so have not chanced it the last couple of nights, it must be like an ice rink, shame with the clear skies we have had

Dave you lucky so and so all I have had is fog, tonight is looking good on 7Timer. So all fingers are crossed, need to use my new bits. The mornings are clear just no chance then.:D Goodluck with saturn, you will never forget your first view.:D

Cheers Kris, i looked at the bright star in the cenre of that pic but never up above it, will try again but had fog all day and tonights and tomorrow morning viewing is out.

Dai, the fog been with us all day and -2 degres still here at 10pm, so i guess its my turn.

I really wanted to get a look at it tonight but my scope is at my nana's house & my mount is here at mine and all the pathways are covered in ice an accident waiting to happen and looking out my window there is alot of cloud coming in it has just covered jupiter

Archived