Is my grandaughter too young?????

Think I have found out why it is not for sale at any astronomy retailers. It's a talking scope. :D:eek::D:eek:;)

Sorry that is a gimmic that you do not need.

Ring somewhere like FLO and ask for advice, possibly ask them to suggest 2 options then think about them.

Still thinking that one that tracks and so makes her locate objects then follows it is a good middle ground.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Main concern about the scope is that I cannot se it sold by the general range of astronomy shops.

FLO, Sherwoods, Scopes and Skies etc

Concern being why not?

Looks fairly similar to the Celestron item.

Cost appears to be around the £220 mark, so a fair step up.

Not been able to have much of a look at the detail but I am guessing it is a goto.

Assuming that it is then the scope will need power, batteries are not really any good and rechargeables are no good. They only supply 1.2v per battery, not the 1.5v expected. And they hate the cold. It will need a simple mains power supply for realistic use.

Goto's need setting up. Meades I think are the easier ones to do so, others will disagree.

Being goto and electronic there is more to go wrong, however an 8 yr old will probably be operating it within 10 minutes. She will need some instruction in how to setup and use the handset.

It is a 102 refractor so zero maintenance.

As said concern is that it is not seemingly sold by the astronomy outlets and I wonder why.

Asked for your location in case you were close to any retailers that you could visit, it helps. I am way South East of you so cannot suggest any.

In place of a goto (assuming it is) there are sort of half way ones that you stand the scope I think facing North then you drive the scope to the target by eye and then the scope tracks at the appropriate rate. Thinking some input from her and some help for the scope.

:hello2:Hi Capricorn. Didn't go for this after all. I saw 1 advertised for £120, that's what attracted me to it, in my price range. Like you said couldn't see it on any other sites. I'm still looking, probably 2nd hand, to get her something decent, I hope. Anybody out there got anything?

Cheers.

I've just bought my 9 year old niece the 90mm refractor on AZ3. Pretty much maintainence free, simple to set up and use.

One thing that did cross my mind is that buying a scope for a 9 year old starting out has as many compromises and tough decisions as buying for an experienced adult.

WILL FATHER CHRISTMAS GET IT DOWN THE CHIMNEY?????????????

And so continues the saga of Laurens telescope.

Last night I was thinking, :) like u do, about the size of these telescopes. She lives in a small house (large garden) and has a younger sister (4) and a baby brother.

What do u folks do when u have finished in the garden and bring the scope back indoors? Dismantle them and put it back in it's box. Put them in a cupboard or under the stairs or leave them erected and stand it in the corner of the least used room? I can just imagine Lauren putting hers in the conservatory and along comes baby brother to pull himself up on the tripod legs!

I like the Skywatcher Evostar 90 AZ3 that has already been suggested to me but am I buying something enormous (her Mum will bless me:mad:) it's hard to tell from the pics. Anywhere not too far from Shrewsbury that has a good selection on display????????????

Cheers for now, looking forward to any comments from you great guys, and gals, out there.:D

I finally just purchased my seven year old daughter her telescope, or should i say our telescope :), the 130p heritage flex tube, which seems to be perfect. It's small, so can be put away much easier than other telescopes, and it's maintenance free, which i think is very important for children. I've also read a lot of good reviews about the telescope.

we've been looking at the stars with the 10x50 binoculars for about a year now, and she's learnt alot using stellarium and the binoculars, so now i felt it was time for the step up for both of us really.

Can't wait to use it.

• 5 weeks later...

She got a Celestron Nexstar 130 SLT for Christmas, albeit 2nd hand, and after a few nights disappointment with the cloudy skies she has seen Jupiter. Trouble is she can't stop talking about it!!!!

Thanks so much all of you for your help...Cath

I agree with Sam - go nuts with them when they see something and share the excitement - kids love that, and it makes the experience more fun in their way.

I'd still get a beginner scope like a 130P but there's no harm in popping down to Liddls and pick up the Rockwell 10x50 binocs which are only £15. They're light and clear and very good vfm. you can get a s/h tripod for under £20. It gives them something to do when you are finding the next object in the scope. :)

Trouble is she can't stop talking about it!!!!

Of course not. She's female. The phase "Stop Talking" doesn't exist in their universe. :eek::D:D:D

On to greater things then Jupiter now. As Neptune is very close try for it. Only a little dot but easier to locate then normal and a planet she may not find again easily.

Orion. Pleaides for ease.

Then a few clusters, work out the easier Messiers (say 10) and set her a challenge.

Work out the really difficult ones and set her a real challenge.:):evil6:

Suspect that the idea of getting up at 5:00am to look at Venus and Saturn doesn't appeal.:evil6:

Archived