Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Whats the best camera for Luna pics and all planets with a dobsonian?

The reason i ask is that i would like to have some really good pics to make a album for my son, (and myself).

I do have a dslr camera, but was also thinking of buying a specific camera which may give better results?

Due to the weather, i have been unable to even get my new scope out bar for 10 mins the other night, so i am patiently waiting just to see what i am able to gather.

All the best, and thanks in advance,

Jon.

Does the dobsonian have tracking (alt/az motors)?

You can get a fast camera - dedicated fast camera or cheaper - USB 2.0 HD webcam (~10-30 FPS capable). Lunary shots like bigger CCDs, planets like smaller and faster.

To combine both you need a bigger CCD camera that has ROI with related speed (it's faster if you tell it to download only some pixels from the center of the CCD and not the wole frame). Lumenera Skynyx, Point Grey Flea 3 and Basler Ace cameras support this but they aren't cheap. QHY5t is cheaper (~£199) and it seems it also has ROI+speed.

The best would be a webcam, or a more expensive DMK21 Image Source camera. Unfortunately, keeping he image on the chip would be a problem with a Dob.. If you managed to get some Avis, the individual frames can be stacked to build a good image.

I'm sure someone who may have done this, will testify to the viability of this, or otherwise.

Ron.

Thanks. The dob is goto, so does track.

So you should be able to do AVI-based images without bigger problems (like those from NexStar SE/CPC alt/az SCT scopes). I've seen somewhere very good images made from one of those new tracking SW dobsonian.

I have a Dob too and the biggest problem I've found isn't with the camera, but rather the fact that you can't really put a drive on a dob - so it's not guided and therefore the object you're observing drifts across the FOV.

The best photos I have of the Moon were taken very simply - I have a 5 megapixel camera, set to 100 ISO (80 is better, if you have it) with the shortest exposure time I can set it to. I literally hold it up to the eyepiece (the longer the focal length, the better), hold it real steady, make sure the flash is off, allow it to focus and hope for the best LOL

Once you get the hang of it, you still get a lot of duds but you can also get some great shots. My avatar was taken this way.

hi all sry to stray off topic but does anyone have a linky about using a web cam to take pics with. as i was thinking of getting a good camera for takin atropics but may invest in a good laptop and webcam

and @ Rjb good idea i might give that a try for now thx. thats a nice pic in your avatar

"If your dslr has liveview you can make it simulate a webcam - best of both world in one camera lol :)". this sounds more like it so i just need a dslr with a lcd screen on the back ????

sry again

thx

Archived