Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Red Dot Finder

I have been using a Telrad for many years and can really recommend it.

With the original 6 x 30 finder on my 8" SC, it was very hard to find anything other than the moon or a planet. The Telrad was a real improvement. It projects three concentric rings on the sky, showing you exactly where your scope is pointing. You can print out Telrad finder charts from popular astronomy programs, or use a star atlas with telrad charts. To locate an object, simple move your scope to place the rings on some reference stars, and you're there. It's more precise than a simple red dot finder.

It uses AA batteries which seem to last for ages, even if you forget to turn it off at the end of an observing session... ;-)

The only disadvantages: It tends to dew/freeze over quickly, and it is rather big. If you haven't got much space on your scope, a Rigel Quickfinder might be an alternative.

Wolfgang

P.S. Wow, I'm a nebula now :-)

I've used both but the Telrad is the most effective in my opinion, the 3 target rings being really helpful for star hopping as Wolfgang says. The Rigel Quikfinder is a good alternative and has a much smaller footprint on the scope.

£39 is at the top end to pay for a Telrad I think - you should be able to find it for closer to £30 if you shop around.

Archived