NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Can a DSLR image planets?

I tried it a couple of nights ago, following a thread here, using the program EOS movie record. I used my 450d with a 3x barlow (same as with a webcam) but found the problem was that the sensor wasn't as sensitive as the webcam, and I couldn't get an exposure faster than 1/5 second. Might be worth attempting with the moon, though, as you will be able to get a brighter image and faster shutter speed. The larger sensor certainly makes it easier to locate the object. The pixels on the Canon are also smaller than on a webcam so, in theory, you should get a sharper image.

Lukebl - What would be the optimum exposure time be with a webcam?

Well, I'm no expert, but my attempts on Jupiter are usually at or 1/50 or 1/33 (using wxAstroCapture) with my SPC880/900, occasionally at 1/100 when it's exceptionally clear.

I'm attracted to the idea as I might one day get a cheap second-hand DSLR, and I do not want to do laptop astronomy which webcams seem to require. I work with computers all day, the last thing I want is one whining, glowing and probably malfunctioning next to me when I'm out under the stars.

Archived