Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Skymax 127/ bins on a az4 ? ( or a dob? )

I'm thinking of selling my alt az goto mount and replacing it with an az4. I just want something easy to set up which I can literally plonk in the garden and manually point at what I want.. I'm not enjoying the faff with goto wires and batteries and alignment every time I want to have a look so, after a couple of months considering my options I've decided not to get a GEM but to get the simplest mount possible 'cos I think it'll get the most use.

Would I be able to use an az4 to mount my 15x70s on ?

Has anyone got a similar set up ?

The other option of course is selling the lot and getting an 8/10" dob....

hi sarah i have both set ups a az4 mount and a dob for the quick grab and go

you cant beat the az4 set up, it comes in two flavours one with steel legs really

solid and one with lightweight legs aluminium both will easily take bins 15x70 i put

my evostar refractor 102mm on them with no problems they also have alt/az markings

i use my ipod with distant suns software to find objects then transfer co-ordinates

to mount. one word of warning if you buy the az4 mount make sure they have the bracket

in stock with to mount yours bins/spotting scope etc.. i have ordered both mounts in the

past and none came with the bracket and its expensive to buy one yourself,

as for the dob a 8" dob is not to hard to handle and will serve you well

my choice...mmmm as to be the dob then again the az4 steel legs ver.. will take a

150mm newtonian.. hope this helps and if you need anymore advice feel free to ask.

For what you want I would recommend the AZ-4 completely.

I used one with my 15 x 70's and 10 x 50's using the bracket that is available as an extra.

You need this (unless you make one) as the dovetail is edge on in the AZ-4

I sold mine with the bracket and regret doing so as it was a great grab and go mount for my Orion 150mm so your 127mm will be a breeze for it.

Paul

ps. forgot to add that for the price of an AZ-4 and binocular bracket you could buy a good 8" - 10" Dob second-hand !!!

I got my AZ-4 second-hand but they come up for sale very rarely.

As Dobbie says go for the steel tubular legged one if you do get one.

Brilliant, thanks both of you that is jut what I wanted to hear !

Wrt the bracket, is it different to the L shaped one that you would use with a normal tripod ?

Is the az4 tall enough to be used standing ( I'm 5'4" )

Paul, I know! I am so tempted to buy a dob but I don't feel I have got the most out of my skymax yet.. It is tempting though. MUST RESIST!

I'll probably buy a dob next year anyway, my shed fell down last spring and has yet to be replaced so my telescopes currently live in my dining room which is fine if I can put them in a box away from my 2 year old but a big shiny tube would just be asking to be climbed up/drooled in/ridden/'decorated' :)

Plan of action 2011 - operation shed !

Brilliant, thanks both of you that is jut what I wanted to hear !

Wrt the bracket, is it different to the L shaped one that you would use with a normal tripod ?

Is the az4 tall enough to be used standing ( I'm 5'4" )

Hi Sarah

the bracket is different as it is a dovetail (same as a scope dovetail) .

You have no option but to either buy one or get one made.

If buying new, First Light Optics include it in the purchase price with the steel legged version.

Skywatcher - Skywatcher AZ4 Alt-Az mount

Height is more than enough for you.

Paul

hi sarah yep as paul says bracket is dovetail one i am 5ft 4 no probs at all, steve at first light optics was not aware there was no brackets inc in az4 mount as it camr direct from ovl, have a word with him he will sort you out i am sure i ordered mine from him ..

Hi Sarah, I have had the same thought in mind for some time only I am leaning towards a parallel mount to take my 15x70 and my future 20x100 bins, I have just purchased from Blacks a reclining camping chair at a special offer price to complete the outfit, if you are interested have a look at Orion telescope and Binoculars, they do a complete binocular mount with tripod.

John.

Archived