Where're the good skies in the UK?

umadog

A warm welcome :)

Only a masochist would move to the UK for astronomy ;) As explained above, all the good places are light polluted, and all the dark places have duff conditions.

Just to the right hand centre of Wales is maybe a good compromise, close enough to several towns for work, but dark enough for decent astronomy. More than the fair share of weather though.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
for access to dark skies....scotland has england beat no questions....there are large parts of scotland where there are no lights....Rannoch Moor especially.

It may be dark, but if there's one place I wouldn't fancy being on a cold and dark night it's Rannoch Moor. Bleak doesn't quite cover it!

Tony..

I've been out of the hobby for several years and am just coming back. I reckon the main thing that dampened my enthusiasm was the conditions in the UK. But then again, I made little effort to search for dark skies.

Perhaps I should just look for a job in Texas ;-)

Archived