SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

IC 63 NEBULA IN CASSIOPEIA

CELESCOPE

Ok i changed my mind , this at the time was a rubbish image , but i have worked on it a little tonight , although a fairly bright nebula , its a pig to image , where they get the bright part from i dont know , cus i can barely see it in my subs , it comes out ok in the processing , i,m fairly pleased with the actual neb itself , but as stated in the earlier image ,the wind was a pain last night and caused huge problems, hence i lost mega subs , i only managed 25 at 60 secs ,HA filter used ,Atik 16HR Camera, processed in Maxim , combined manually,

Rog

image.jpg

These ghostly nebulas are very faint aittle (below 20' in size) but can be easily found thanks to the proximity of Gamma Cassiopeia, the bright star in the center of this image.

I wish I could see some of these nebs for real. I suppose it's invisible at the eyepiece.

Rog, It's great! All these things you take photos off I didn't even know they existed!

Learn something new everytime you post and image!

Kain

Thanks for the plug, Rog. :D Ic 63 (and Ic 59 next door) should be visible in a small scope. It's listed as a LBN, Large Bright Nebula, but that's just because it's an emission nebula and not a reflection nebula. They're being eroded by Gamma Cas and won't last much longer. Due to their close proximity to Gamma Cas, they will be a tough target for sure. I'll check them out, hopefully tonight, and get back to you. (Long weekend, plu new, amazing scope equals nights at the EP for me!) Any other requests? :D

I had clear skies Wednesday night and took a look at IC 63. I couldn't see it with the 10" under nearly perfect conditions, but I was rather tired after a full dqay at work and reassembling the scope after the weekend jaunt to Sentinel. I'd planned to try again last night and tonight, but a cold front has rolled a bunch of clouds in, so I'm not sure when I'll try again. I'll let you know when I do.

BTW, the LBN catalog is actually Lynds Bright Nebula catalog, named after B.T. Lynds of Mt. Palomar, cataolged bright and dark nebula (LDN) in the mid 1960's.

Archived