Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

LX90 adapter advice

Trevor-Austin

I've got the Meade 5000 2" diagonal with my LX90 and that is fitted to a 2" adapter screwed into the back of the OTA. That adapter has an extension piece with it I haven't used yet that will extend the adapter approx another 2" and therefore "push" the diagonal back 2".

What effect will this have on the Diagonal and my views?

Thanks

Adding the extra length won't have any effect on the image. You should be easily able to refocus. There's no benefit in doing it you may get more slop. I think that type of "extension" is to replace the length "lost" when you work without the diagonal.

Normally extensions are used with scopes to compensate for insufficient capacity in the focus travel. SCTs usually have shed loads of back focus and extension tubes are typically not required to achieve focus. However it might be handy with your DSLR to distance it from the rear cell so that the DSLR doesn't clash with the focus knob should that be a problem.

It will affect your focal length slightly

Indeed, if you measure the focal length you'll probably find you're working at f/11 - f/12 with the 2" diagonal and an extension. If you have the ACF scope (which has corrector elements in the baffle tube) the correction will be dependent on having the distance between the corrector and the focal plane reasonably near to the design value. I'd definitely not use the extension tube with a 2" diagonal.

The extension tube fitted to the eyepiece end of a barlow might be useful to get a higher magnification e.g. 3x from a 2x unit. Or fitting it instead of the diagonal when imaging might be required to get the corrector backfocus right if you have ACF optics.

Yes.

The camera lens focused at infinity, needs to "see" a collimated beam - this is not the case in the scope - the light is obviously converging to the focus.

The easiest way is to use an eyepiece positioned at focus - this gives a collimated beam towards the eye - in your case towards the camera lens. Finding the right focal length eyepiece and the adaptor which is long enough to clear the moving zoom element is a challenge ( I had a ol' Olympus 3030 zoom and managed to get the long spacer adaptor to work with a 32mm plossl....)

Archived