NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

OMG - Jupiter in the 10" Dob

AndyC

Been wanting to point the 'new' dob at Jupiter and see what I could see ... managed it this evening after it cleared the house next door and before too much cloud intervened.

So I got a glimpse or two ... and I'm gob-smacked I can see some belts so so so clearly and perhaps some more details... even when I'm sure seeing was not that good either.

I'm becoming more and more impresssed with the views I'm getting with this scope, real value for money

Oh and bagged Uranus as well.

A

>> What ep's were you using?

I usually use the TV32mm Plossl when first going to objects. In this instance I left the 10mm Radian in with eye to the EP as I shifted the tube too fast over and past it.

So I got a first 'smack in the chops' view of the disk that I wouldn't have with the 32mm. Immediately saw the NEB (I think) and three moons in attendance.

Also tried the WO 7mm SPL and WO 20mm+Barlow but the Radian won hands down, crisper clearer. Didn't think to try the 4mm Radians must do next time.

A

I received ny 10" dob from FLO last Thursday. We've had very bad weather over the last few days but I did manage to sneak it out on Saturday night and have an all too brief look at Jupiter - awesome! So much better than my 4" TAL that I've had for the last 16 years. I now need to have a look at getting some different eyepieces!

OK so now I've tried again with the DOB even if it was a quick look being a bit late back and brrrrrr what a cold wind ...

Now with the 4mm Radians for the first time this evening. Expected it not to be that good but what a surprise.

The NEB was really clear as was the darker region of the South Pole and with two moons:

Europa and Ganymede just visible either side of the disk made quite a sight. Callisto was further away out of the FoV.

Then there was the shadow of one of the moons (Europa) showing clearly crossing Jupiters disk,

it could also just be seen in the 10mm. Didn't know that was happening so that was a bonus.

The view in the 10mm is much clearer but that much smaller that the seeing of much detail was going to be tricky.

But in the 4mm I could see hints of a band just to the north of the SPR and I'm now also starting to detect some

structures and differences in shade partricularly in the NEB. Becoming much easier the more I view.

Tried other EPs a WO 6mm SPL and WO 15 & 20mm SWANs with 2.5x barlow but nothing to compare with either of the Radians for clarity or FoV.

Suppose the only real downside to the 4mm is having to move the DOB all the time to keep it in the FoV!

A

Archived