Levelling Dobs

I would think a mini spirit level would do. I know you can get digital ones, but I don't know if they're advantageous . I suspect it's harder to get it pointing north accurately than getting it level.

Nice scope Cyborg - you can level it with a spirit level but no dob comes without some desirable modification required lol.

Feel free to join the "Dob User" social group (click link in my signature) - in there is a "Dob Mods" thread that I started. You'll get all sorts of ideas and neat solutions to potential mods - maybe eventually you'll add some in yourself :eek:

Whilst not 100% necessary - levelling first will help if you have to set the OTA to horizontal first using the angle guage on the mount. Zero will be near enough zero if the base is allready levelled. Some tracking dobs require this.

If you also need to set the pole star you'll find an electronic angle guage like the "Wixie" and a compass, very useful (also for finding stuff using co-ords). :eek:

Archived