Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Know your limits

IvanT

Hi guys,

After a long imaging session on Saturday night, I suspect that I'm trying to shoot too far too soon (forgive the pun), I've only been at astro and AP for a few months now.

My alignment is getting better and I can now focus on a star and shoot up to 2 mins before I start to see any obvious trailing, I don't have an auto-guide setup YET :)

My question is, what are the limits of what I realistically can expect to achieve at 2 mins unguided with my setup?

My setup is:

SWE 200P on a syncscan upgraded EQ5

Prime focused unmodified Canon 1000d with an astronomik cls filter fitted

I tried:

M33 don't think I had it framed, initial stacking & processing didn't reveal the image.

M81 think I had it framed but very low detail when processed

Both were 20 x 2 min @ 800 with 10 x 2 min darks & flats would that have been sufficient to capture it those targets?

I for the 2nd time got some decent shots of M42 which was naked eye visible. Neither M33 nor M81 were naked eye visible so I suspect I wasn't centered on them. I tried locating them using my bins but wasn't able to find them. Would 30 sec @ 800 test shots capture enough light to determine if I've framed distant objects such as these correctly when previewed in live view?

I guess I don't want to waste time chasing objects that are beyond my setup's capabilities.

Before I go down the un-guided route I want to learn my trade as it were, has anyone got an opinion on A Beginner's Guide to DSLR Astrophotography by Jerry Lodrigus?

Thanks

Try ditching the CLS filter from the imaging train. I've imaged both those objects with a 200P and 300D from a light polluted location. M81 came out quite well and M33 was okay(ish). I was using shorter subs at 90secs with an ISO of 1600. I found the CLS was a light killer on subs less than 3mins and removed it. Replaced it with a Baader Neodymium which worked much better with short unguided subs. Or even just try imaging without any filter. Things maybe a bit Tango but you can deal with that in Photoshop.

Would show you my results but in a fit of rage in 2006 i gave up imaging and deleted all my images i had taken :)

Thanks Russ, the filter light reducing effect didn't even occur to me :)

Looking at the skywatcher lpr filter vs baader neodymium filter thread on here it seems the SW LPR filter @ £19.90 is a good solution. Now for the silly question, would I be correct in saying that at prime the connection sequence is DSLR -> 2" T-Ring adapter -> 2" Filter -> 2" OTA focuser, i.e. the 2" is used for PF not the 1.25" EP adapter.

Archived