Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

EUREAKA!! At last!

Tim

For the last 12 months I have been struggling with a collimation problem, no matter what I did, I couldn't get the stars dead right. Tried everything, but the problem seemed to change from session to session, sometimes worse, sometimes better, very unpredictable.

The other night I noticed that when I had my Hotech laser in the focusser, and wound the focusser right in and right out, the reflection of the laser moved erratically, and in no predictable manner.

The focusser is a Baader Steeltrack unit, and I stripped it down tonight. Everything seemed normal until I dismantled the collimating segment. This is basically an insert with four roller bearings, which can be tweaked a little to adjust or compensate for any tilt or out of square.

On close inspection there was a tiny split in the casing of one of the 8mm bearings. Removing it from the housing revealed that the bearing had completely collapsed.

Finally it all becomes clear, and the answer to why the problem was so erratic. Basically, each time I moved the focusser, it would end up in a different, and random position. No way on earth to get the camera correctly lined up to the secondary.

So that's answered that problem, all I need to do now is find a supplier of 8mm bearings, anybody happen to know of one? I only want 4.

Cheers

TJ

It's good to hear you have found the problem :)

For the last 12 months I have been struggling with a collimation problem ... On close inspection there was a tiny split in the casing of one of the 8mm bearings. Removing it from the housing revealed that the bearing had completely collapsed.

Have a chat with your supplier Tim, it might still be under warranty.

Have a chat with your supplier Tim, it might still be under warranty.

Thanks for the suggestion Steve. I will repair it myself with better quality bearings though I think, not much point putting more weak ones in there, and besides, not all suppliers are as efficient, or as helpful as you guys at FLO :)

Archived