Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Seeing change in the Crab Nebula

george7378

M1 was formed when a Supernova, whose light reached us in the 11th century (I think) sent a debris cloud shooting off into space. As we see it, the nebula was formed less than 1000 years ago, and it is a pretty sizable object through a scope. If I were to live for about 80 years, this would nearly be a 10th of the nebula's lifespan. So, if I were to observe it in, say, 2000 and then again in about 2080, would there be any noticable change in the dimensions of the object? Just a passing curiosity...

Thanks.

That's a superb find George. Shows change over a known timescale - real valuable observational astronomy in my book :)

Funnily enough, this was a question I was mulling over a few months back when Dave (EagleEyes) did a talk on the Palomor plates he had gotten hold of. I wondered then if there would be change between the Palamor captures of M1 (1950s/60s?) and images of today. I never had the time to do any research into it though

I did a bit of searching and found a great APOD which shows the expansion:

APOD: 2001 December 27 - The Incredible Expanding Crab

Great find. I always thought DSO are static, but it seems like there are changes that one can see in their lifetime.

Initially I thought the changes was just a result different exposure length, but when I compared the filaments against the star, they seemed to have moved.

Archived