Barlow Lens

Howdy,

Yep the 2x barlow will double the mag of your eyepiece.

If you are using a diagonal, you might be able to place the barlow between the scope and diagonal (instead of between the diagonal and eyepiece) to get about three times magnification from the 2x barlow - though this may depend on your scope. It works on my 80mm refractor if I use an extension tube (without the extension tube I can't get it to focus as the eyepiece has to be so far back from the telescope).

Apparently you can also stack barlows, though I haven't tried this myself, in theory combining a 2x barlow and a 3x barlow would give you 6x magnification. Has anyone had good or bad experiences stacking barlows??

They can be very useful but need to be equal to the quality of the eyepieces they are being used with - ie: a cheap barlow lens in between a nice eyepiece and a decent scope is not a good idea !.

The maximum useful magnification remains limited by the scope aperture and observing conditions of course (mostly the latter in the UK).

Yup - all the above apply. A couple of very popular 2x are the Celestron Ultima barlow and Orion Shorty (both great quality and comparable performance). You can get them around £75 new or circa £50-£60 ish second hand.

The Televue Powermates are great but a bit pricier. I use s/h regular Televue Barlows :)

Tal Barlows are also worth considering. Although quite a bit cheaper (£35 - £40) they have the usual Tal optically quality, are wll made and very durable (dropped my x2 several times, but with no ill effects!)

Tal Barlows are also worth considering. Although quite a bit cheaper (£35 - £40) they have the usual Tal optically quality, are wll made and very durable (dropped my x2 several times, but with no ill effects!)

definitely a 2nd for tal barlows you can get them ND hand for a good price currently using a x3 for imaging great value for money!

Archived