NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

My trusty Celestron Omni XLT 120 achro refractor

Hi,

I got this telescope because I did not want to mess with collimation, but wanted a big aperture scope. I am very happy with it. Right know it is shown in the pictures without modifications, but a 2" diagonal and Fringe Killer filter are on their way. The mount is not that bad, contrary as other people say. I think it is "just right". Maybe in the future I could swap the stock focuser, but the stock one is doing it's job nicely.

post-20558-133877496455_thumb.jpg

post-20558-133877496461_thumb.jpg

post-20558-133877496466_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the pictures and its great when you see kids around a 'real' telescope. Collimation is something that people are often concerned about because they imagine it to be more complicated than it is. Personally, I like to fettle with gear, to squeeze what ever 'extra' there might be left inside and I suppose it's also about making your kit work for you, including the modifications which help personalize it. I think that refractors are great, physically easier to handle and have a certain 'attraction'. I hear a lot of good things about those fringe killers - hope it makes a difference for you.

Clear skies

James

Hi Gustavo

I previously owned one of these and it really is a fine scope. I sold it to someone who knows a lot about refractors and he said it had the finest optics he has seen in this sort of scope for a long time.

I think you are a little smaller than me (I am 1.9m tall) and struggled with the tripod height but it fits you very well!

In some ways I miss the very sharp pinpoint stars of a refractor but really love my two dobs.

Great photos!

Gustavo- how does your Xlt120 compare to the light bridge? A few months ago I traded a 10inch dob for a William Optics Zenithstar 80.

I think I've got the refractor bug, but can't afford a 120mm ED scope- I was considering one of the similar size achromats and would welcome your views.

I sold my refractor when after about 4 months of owning my 12" newt, it became (in my mind) a complete waste of time setting up the refractor and I never used it. the 12" just allows so much more to be seen well.

perhaps an unfair comparison but both my 12" dob and my 6" dob were better on all but close double stars than the refractor although I have not yet really had a go at any close doubles with the 6" as I have been gawping at Jupiter every time I have been out recently!

Moonshane- I think we're almost mirror images of each other. I spent a few weeks in Jan an Feb comparing my small refractor and 10 inch dob on a Mars and a few winter wonders. I came to the conclusion that for the most part I was seeing almost as much with the small scope as the large one, but finding and tracking was easier in the smaller one. The dob was duly packaged up and on it's way to another home. You've got me thinking I may have been a bit hasty.

Gustavo- I'd be interested to hear your experience if you do get a chance to compare.

Congratulations on the new scope and nice pics!!!!. I got mine last Friday after waiting almost 4.5 weeks. I did a lot of "homework" before deciding on the same scope. I ordered mine with a 8-24mm zoom lens. Unfortunately mine also came with a week (or more??) of cloudy nights so mine has yet to see it's "first light" :)

BTW, Skywatcher has the same zoom as Celestron & here's a test report on it in case you're interested:

Skywatcher Zoom

Have fun!

Thanks Abb for the info. You will not regret getting this scope! Eventually, you might want to upgrade a few things, but mine almost completely stock and I am very happy with it. Here is an overall summary of the accessories I bought for it:

1) Baader Planetarium solar filter

2) Celestron zoom eyepiece (attaches directly to camera t-ring!)

3) 2" Quartz Dielectric Diagonal (nothing wrong with the stock one, but now I am upgrading to 2" eyepieces)

4) Fringe Killer filter (or UV-IR blocker) - this one is very important if you perceive the chromatic aberration to be noticeable. I have used it and it's wonderful.

In addition, if you find that it's too difficult to kneel every time you look at the zenith with the scope, I think that Orion sells an extension for their mount (goes between the mount and the tripod). If I am not mistaken, it fits the CG-4 because they are the same mount. Can anyone confirm? Makes it easier on sore backs!

Moonshane- I think we're almost mirror images of each other. I spent a few weeks in Jan an Feb comparing my small refractor and 10 inch dob on a Mars and a few winter wonders. I came to the conclusion that for the most part I was seeing almost as much with the small scope as the large one, but finding and tracking was easier in the smaller one. The dob was duly packaged up and on it's way to another home. You've got me thinking I may have been a bit hasty.

Gustavo- I'd be interested to hear your experience if you do get a chance to compare.

the view through a refractor is always lovely. and don't forget that the scope that you feel happiest with, is most convenient and as a result gets used the most is the best one :)

personally, and maybe because I am tall, I found the eyepiece at the top much more comfortable to use. plus the fact that you don't have to reverse the view in a reflector (just turn the star map upside down) meant less puzzled umms and aaahs when trying to find things) - it's all very personal so don't fret :(

In addition, if you find that it's too difficult to kneel every time you look at the zenith with the scope, I think that Orion sells an extension for their mount (goes between the mount and the tripod). If I am not mistaken, it fits the CG-4 because they are the same mount. Can anyone confirm? Makes it easier on sore backs!

Gustavo you are correct that Orion make a pillar extension which I know fits the CG5 and Skywatcher alt/az mount. I assume it will fit the CG4.

I use it for my fracs which is, as you say, great for viewing the zenith.

I attach a photo showing the pillar.

Mark

PS - you frac looks very good

Unfortunately Gustavo, I have yet to try my new scope on it'll be 1 week old on Friday - baaaaaaad weather :).

I got this scope for 2 reasons:

1: it solves my refractor/reflector debate that's been going on within me since I got into this hobby with a telescope this past July (4.5" Newton) - used binoculars before that:)

2: The 1st time I saw this scope on line it was almost double the price I paid for it!

You mentioned Celestron zoom - are you talking about the 8-24mm one I already have ( Zoom Eyepiece 1.24 in - 8-24mm (item #93230) / Specialty eyepieces / Eyepieces / Accessories / Products / Celestron.com )

As for the solar filter, I'm sure I'll eventually get one - one step at a time.

Many Thanks & have fun!!!!

Mark,

Nice mount! I see the extension on it. I am planning to get one someday.

Abb,

Yes, that is the eyepiece I was talking about. If you remove the plastic cup from the viewing end, it will reveal a t-thread! Now you can use it for taking pictures. Also yes, my camera is a Sony A290 DSLR. To fit the camera to the eyepiece, you need a T-thread adapter that attaches to the camera body instead of the lens. The type of adapter you need is the one used for Minolta AF lens mount (also called Maxxum if I am not mistaken). It will fit your camera.

I FINALLY got to try my new 120 and it was definitely worth waiting for!!! Unfortunately all I got to see was Jupiter before the clouds came in and it was fabulous!!!!

As for chromatic aberration, there was some around Jupiter but it wasn't as bad as I was expecting or had read about (thankfully!). For now I can live with what I saw but I may get a Fringe Killer as you mentioned - one step at a time :)

Many Thanks & have fun!

• 3 weeks later...

Gustavo,

I just sold my 4.5" newton after seeing the difference between it and the 120. However, I just ordered an 8" Skywatcher Dob to replace it since it was on sale + free shipping - the temptation was too great ;) Hopefully these 2 scopes will compliment each other as I believe they will :)

Archived