Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Meade Lightbridge choice between 8 or 10"

If you have the money I'd say go for the 10".

In a way I would agree that a solid tube is the way to go,

it's what I have. But when broken down, a 10" LB will fit into

a smaller space than a solid tube, so may be a consideration

for you, for storage / transport in a car.

Regards, Ed.

I agree with all the above.

When I bought my 12" Lightbridge is was simply because it had the biggest aperture that I could afford at the time (or still).

To be honest, I was not that impressed with it until a friend showed me how how to collimate it and I managed to get it to a dark location. The views were gob-smacking (first view of a globular cluster literally left me speechless). I would definately go for the 10" version if you can't stretch to the 12". If it had been a soilid tube I would never have been able to transport it to a dark sky location in a Vauxhall Astra but the downside to a truss Dob is that everytime you strip it down you will alter the alignment of the mirrors, so you will need to check collimation before viewing. A good tip with these kiddies is to number each truss and mark the primary and secondary mirror housings to correspond. That way you will always put it back together exactly as it was before you dismantled it, this should minimise any problems.

Go for it and enjoy!

Regards Tony

• 2 years later...

Archived