NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Simply put - Astonishing H-Alpha images

NickH

200mm refractor

If the optics are good

Zeiss. 'Nuff said.

How much benefit you're going to get from extra aperture really depends on the seeing at your site. There are days here when I can get as much detail with 60mm as I can with 100mm. Significantly more aperture would be worthwhile only on rare occasions ... meanwhile a larger scope would demand a permanent observatory setup & even then would be slower & clumsier to use.

If you have an observatory in a site with good seeing, then by all means go for the big aperture. Rogerio (amongst others) has raised the bar for high resolution imaging.

Yes they are indeed wonderful images but Am I missing something? There is no extra aperture?

Yes its a bigger scope but he is using a Lunt LS50 HA filter so the aperture is still only 50mm. I would say that the quality of the images have more to do with good seeing and processing helped by the better optics. Also Stiking the LS50 on a longer focal length scope will give you more magnification without having to use more glass (barlows etc).

I have been tempted to make up a cover and mount to throw My LS50 /bf1200 onto my Meade SCT. But I dont know what the results would be like so I am reluctant to spend the money making the cover / mount for it.

Bill D

No Bill, you're missing something quite significant, the etalon is managing (along with his quite interesting array of prisms etc) a 200mm aperture scope, (same as how I and many others manage to use a 25 ish mm etalon from a PST and get images which no PST on the planet could come close to .. and if you put your lunt etalon onto the Meade SCT...then about 2 minutes later you'll have a very broken Meade, as the heat build up inside the closed SCT will probably kill it pretty quickly unless you get a 200+mm ERF on the front, and even then, it's not really the optimal system for it..

Hmm OK I do not understand. I am still picturing Lunt etalon at front / filter at back. Which would have meant effectively blocking the front of the scope except where the LS50 is.

Is there a diagram or document somewhere that might explain the configuration.

Are they somehow using bigger aperture optics at front and having the Etalon further back in the light train? If that is the case would that not be focusing alot of heat onto the LS50? Or is that where the prisms come in?

Bill D

I'm still puzzled as to why such an apparently complicated system is required, other than to avoid the use of an ERF. I'm getting very similar results using a 220mm F12.5 achromat with a suitably sized ERF placed around halfway between A and B on Rogerio's diagram, and a stage2 modified PST at the focus. Field of view is similar due to the BF5 and there is no evidence, at yet, of image degradation due to internal heating. I've added the popular Vixen 80mm mod with full aperture ERF and a 150mm F8 stopped to 125mm F10 with sub aperture internal ERF. Each of the three scopes gives excellent results but the increase in detail as the aperture increases is obvious.

Archived