Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Green laser pointers - useful tool or menance?

JamesC

What's the feeling on green laser pointers for pointing out constellations and the locations of objects? Do people disapprove of defiling the night sky with green light? Is a long stick just as good?

I recently took a couple of friends out to show them some of the highlights of the Autumn sky. Not unreasonably they wanted to know where exactly they were looking and also wanted to compare the view in binoculars. As they didn't know the constellations I was finding it really slow going trying to get them to point the binoculars in the right direction. My Dob has a right angle finderscope on it which is great for comfort but doesn't help with pointing people in the right direction. I'm sorely tempted to get a green laser pointer, but hesitate at the idea of driving out to a dark site, just to illuminate the sky with a laser show. Is there a better way?

I must confess its something Santa can happily put in my stocking this Christmas they have a cool factor about them but my be a good star chart and red torch would help your friends learn more by discovering for them selfs and star hopping?Dont think they would be welcome at star party's though.

I have one and I am very careful when using it. Any vehicle or aircraft in the area and it goes off and stays off until I know it won't do any harm. When pointing out satellites I am careful to correctly identify them as not to confuse them as aircraft before I use the pointer. Great piece of kit if used properly

I agree, they're a great bit of kit IF used correctly. ie carefully & responsibly.

They're a damn right menace in the hands of chavs.

I live under the flight path to Newcastle Airport, and I always have a good look about first to make sure I don't aggravate any pilots - I just couldn't be bothered with the hassle of plod turning up.

It is definetly best to make sure you know there are no aircraft around, I have lived near airports for half of my life and in some places it is an offence to shine lasers near an airport.

Outside of them it can be a very useful and fun tool, just take care.

I agree with all the above posts. Where ever there is an idiot then idiotic behaviour naturally follows. What I'm afraid of is the possibility that these items are going to be banned because of the actions of these wallies. I would much prefer a system of registration or licensing, maybe through local astro societies as a way of being able to maintain access to this invaluable tool.

James

It's amazing how powerful even the weak ones are - certainly capable of temporarily blinding/distracting anyone flying aircraft, driving a car, or sailing a boat.

The sale of them should have controls - though not overzealous controls - bit like drinking underage. A purchaser should have a good reason for buying one - a stated purpose and a registered name/address accompanied with issue of appropriate written warnings about usage and penalties would be a good idea imho :D

If I remember correctly, they are band in this country because of the yobs using them to blind pilots/drivers. I agree that there should be control over them to stop idiots getting them.

That said, I bought mine after the general sale of them was banned in this country from eBay.

I have one and always take it to the gatherings I do over here, it is certainly the most useful tool I have for showing newcomers exactly what I am explaining and whereabouts it is "exactly", some are as amazed by it as much as the views through the scope!

Like them for pointing things out, useful tool. Using a finger on the end of your arm is pretty useless when explaining to a 6 year old at a public show what and where the different constellations are.

Not sure where Jimmy is as his stats says Member of East Midlands SG, and GLP's are not banned in the UK. You can buy finders that use a GLP. Using them irresponsibly is, but that is a different thing.

I'm sure there was something in the news a year or so ago where a bunch of yobs nearly dropped a plane by using them near an airport.

I am in spalding in south lincs so I'm pretty lucky to be in the sticks so I get very little air traffic. Usually I only get RAF aircraft and that's only during the day.

Hmmm. OK so it seems like people think a GLP is not too anti-social provided it is used sensibly, but a planisphere, charts and a red torch might have some mileage too. I was even thinking I could take along a camera tripod and if all else failed I could set the binoculars up pointing in the right direction. Giving my friends a sky tour was a bit of a last minute decision so I wasn't super prepared. Maybe if I take them both out at the same time in the future I can prepare some binocular objects for one of them to find while I show the other some stuff with the scope before swapping.

It was a bit of a marathon all in all, because I went out observing by myself on the Sunday, took one of them out on Monday and the other on Tuesday (I've only got one spare seat in my car because the scope takes up all the back). We went round M13, M92, M57, M27, the Veil (with and without OIII), Alberio, Almach, M31, M33, NGC 891, The double cluster, M45, Comet Hartley 2, Uranus, and Jupiter . I also tried to point out a couple of dark nebulae.

it seems like people think a GLP is not too anti-social provided it is used sensibly
True, but sensible use is by no means guaranteed. Some morons are actively using these devices to try to distract drivers & pilots into crashing. In today's local news: BBC News - Laser pens being shone at drivers near Armoy

I have serious doubts about these devices being used for astronomy: there are practical ways to use other devices to do the same job, and I find it hard to justify asking people not to shine convenience / security / advertising lights into the sky if astronomers are doing the same thing.

Jimmy, just seemed a bit odd, wondered if someone who dislikes them had said they were banned.

I read lots of various things about GLP's and really it seems they are sold on the basis of the Class they fall into, so not even by the power they are quoted as. The US say max of 5mW but we seem to have some odd measure.

Tend to agree with DD, think 10-12 people are killed daily by cars in the UK. Where is the mass outcry? Someone shines a laser and they are suddenly the tool of the devil.

Meant to say: There must be some good dark skies and low horizons around Spalding.

I have serious doubts about these devices being used for astronomy: there are practical ways to use other devices to do the same job, and I find it hard to justify asking people not to shine convenience / security / advertising lights into the sky if astronomers are doing the same thing.

Ugh. Yep, you've put your finger on the source of my discomfort. I shall resist. Planisphere, charts and finger pointing. After all, I learnt the constellations without someone shining a laser about the place. It's not like I'm trying to teach a class of 25.

Archived