Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Canon DSLRs

Hi.

Can someone please explain the range of models, all I see is 30d, 300d, 400d, 350d, 1000d, 40d etc etc.; there are so many, it is difficult to know which one is the best!?

I've heard good things about the 1000d, but what about the others??

Many thanks.

Richard.

:D

The number of digits defines the market... 1000d, is a basic consumer model.

XXXd is slightly more advanced, but not by much and still a consumer model.

XXd is better built, Alloy casing, bigger camera, higher frame rate, I think it's more of a prosumer model for sports etc.

Xd is pro grade kit.

The costs go up as the number of digits in the model go down.

For Astro, the lower end models are probably best, being smaller and lighter, for attaching to scopes. The 1000d is currently the cheapest option and from the images posted works well. Having said that, there's some spectacular images taken with much higher end cameras, so if you can afford one...

the more digits in the model name, the further down the range they are. For instance, the 1000D is currently Canon's mega budget model. While the 500D is their budget model. The 50D is the enthusiast model. And the 7D and 5D MkII is getting semi-pro. The 1D MkIII is serious stuff.

The 300D was the first ever mega budget DSLR made (by any manufacturer). From there, that was replaced by the 350D, then 400D and so forth. Each time a few more megapixels are added, the processor updated and a few more features. The 450D was the first with Live View....very handy. So if that takes your fancy, it's worth discounting the 300D/350D/400D. But the secondhand prices are silly, especially on Ebay. So you may as well just buy 1000D brand new as it has all the features you'll want for astro.

I see, that makes more sense to me now. Thank you very much.

So, for example, a 400d is better than a 1000d? (excuse the dumb question) :-\

Do all models have the bulb feature for long exposures?

I've got my eye an a 400D at the moment, is this a good choice for astrophotography?

Kind regards,

Richard.

Richard, that's not so easy to answer. In simple terms, based on the numbers it would appear so. But the 1000d is closer to the 450d, so has liveview, I think it's got a better image processor etc. I think a lot will depend on how much the 400d is and if it's only to be used for Astro or for daylight too. The 1000d (body only) can be had for under £300...

Canon EOS 1000D Body

Hi jgp001,

I don't think I fully understand this "bulb" feature, what exactly is it?? lol

The 400D I've got my eye on, is on fleabay at the moment for £258 with no bids currently, is that a good price or should I still go for the 1000D?

Many thanks.

Richard.

I'd go for a new 1000d at that price, unless there's a lot of kit in with it. Worth checking on the number of shutter activations on the 400d, they have a finite limit and the reckoning is, that on average (hmmm) the consumer bodies have a shutter life of about 50,000 activations, that might sound huge, but it could be only 3 or 4 years use (I'm up to nearly 40,000 on my 450d in a little over 2 years)... If it's to be used on a scope, then you don't really need lenses. Although with the ST102, I'd suggest something like a fringekiller or Semi Apo filter to reduce CA. The Contrast Booster you have will do the job.

Bulb just allows you to open the shutter for as long as you hold the button down for. Realistically, this means you need a remote shutter release of some sort, as you don't want to be touching the camera for an exposure of any length. Given you mount of an EQ1, it would probably be worth looking at getting the kit lens or perhaps the nifty fifty (EF50II) lenses, ok that puts the cost up, but I don't think the EQ1 is going to be able to do any length of exposures with the 102 on it as well. The longest focal length I've used on my EQ1 is 50mm, and that was limited to about 2.5 minutes.

HTH

If that is body only, which most are on Fleabay, it's too close in price to the 1000D. But as i said in the earlier post, Ebay is crazy at the moment for DSLR's. Even the not so good DSLR's (early Pentax and Olympus) from yesteryear are fetching a pretty sum.

I used to own a 450d which is a great little camera but i have since bought a 5DMKII and the difference in image quality is astonishing,the lack of noise,especially at higher ISO settings is a big plus point.The only downside if you can call it that is there's no point spending £1700 or so on a camera and putting a cheap lens on it,completely defeats the purpose of getting an expensive "pro" camera, so its at least another £700 for a good compatible lens,mind you thats not an issue when its coupled to a scope.

Get the "best" that funds allow would be my advice.

OK, on the ebay ad, it states the following, for £235 (no bids) you get...

EOS 400D Digital SLR camera with EFS 18-55 lens comes complete with in the original box with serial number cut out of the box for the canon offer - software, instruction manual, software, cables, strap, battery, battery charger and quick start guide.

Also included are the following

Lowepro camera bag

Gorilla SLR tripod

58mm UV lens

58mm Circular polarizer

Is this a good price?

Are you likely to use any of the accessories that come with that camera ? They are all really daytime tools. If not, and you have the budget, then go for the 1000d, with or without kit lens. IMHO, the liveview alone makes using the camera for astro that much easier.

Just been reading a 400D/1000D comparison on DP Review. In short there is nothing between them for final output quality. The 400D uses the same sensor as the 1000D. But the 1000D has Live View and would be brand new.....that makes it worth the extra.

The extras included with the 400D would only cost a few quid, especially the filters.

I have a 1000D and I love it. The live view feature is indispensable for AP and will save you time getting focus (focus on the live view is quicker than trial & error taking pictures and previewing them).

It was a refurb and gets used for daytime photography now as well as astro.

Therefore I'm looking for a second one to modify :D

So to second what everyone has already said - go for the 1000D. It's awesome.

I have a 450D, which has the Live View feature. I would definitely recommend getting a model that has this feature as it makes easy work of focusing. Before I had that feature focusing on anything was just really *HARD*. But now it's a snap really.

Archived