Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

1st attempt at solar image

spaceboy

Hi

I had a go at imaging the sun yesterday and I'm not that impressed with the outcome compared to most I've seen. I know I can't expect much from my set up but any advice would be well noted especially from the solar queen Sheri :(

I'm batting a little big on the appature 200mm F/5 I only use the 2" standard cap fit at the front cover which I know isn't going to offer the best views compaired to a smaller full appature telescope but it's the confidence that the Baader film is securely attached and no worries of blowing off. I have the 880 flashed CCD with IR/UV filter not 100% sure it's UV. I have colour filters .... don't know if these would make any difference ??

I don't seem to be able to make any great improvement with registax's and the images were from 4 minutes avi footage.

All help welcomed.

You shouldn't be too unhappy with those !

The first thing to say is that they look over exposed. Try and pull them back a bit. If you have a histogram aim to have the peak two thirds of the way up.

The second thing to say i that four minute .avi is way too long. You should look to get between 500/800 frames (stacking around 200/250 of the best) and try not to image over a minute. The suns surface is really quite active and can change quite a bit in four minutes creating a bluuring effect on ones images.

I know it's frustrating to hear (at least I was when it was first said to me) but it is just a case of practice, practice, practice and you'll get there in the end !

S.

Thanks guys. I will try next time to lower the exposure. I am using the webcams software which I find easiest but it might have restrictions. How do I go about getting more view of the sun? Is it focal reducers and do they work like screw in filters?

Thanks guys. I will try next time to lower the exposure. I am using the webcams software which I find easiest but it might have restrictions. How do I go about getting more view of the sun? Is it focal reducers and do they work like screw in filters?

I would be very interested to hear how to get a greater view when imaging, as you ask, Is it focal reducers? I am using a SW 150P F5 with SPC900

When you say leave it loose?

Can you describe how you do this etc.

Just don't tape it tight over the hole. Tape 1 side then tape the other side but allow some slack in the film. Then tape up the other 2 side making sure it's all secure. I will try and get some pics later for you and post on this thread.

Archived