NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

HEQ5 Skyscan?

Alan D

Hi Guys

Not been here for a while as I took a break from Astronomy for a few months but as you know this is addictive stuff so looking to get back in to imaging. Some great pictures on this site well done!

I am thinking of upgrading my mount currently an EQ5 with dual drives to the HEQ5 Skyscan. Any of you guys (or Gals) out there able to give me some feedback on how this mount performs for unguided pics ( I get around 30secs max before trails on the EQ5 polar aligned) also how good is the GOTO and what sort of weight can this mount take as I currently use an orion optics 200mm F6 and I want to use a Skywatcher 80 as a guide scope. What is the build quality like and can you use StarryNight 4.5 with the GOTO. Also any recomends on a Dealer.

Any points of view either positive or negative on this mount would be great before I decide to tell the other half that I am about to spend£750 on a mount :D

Thanks

Alan D

OK Alan, one point at a time.

Unguided you should be OK for at least two minutes.

GOTO gets you central with a 25mm EP (standard Plossl, not wide angle) after alignment. The goto accuracy drops off a little over time but alignment is so quick it isn't an issue.

The weight issue I'm not too sure on, but I'd guess that you'll be OK.

Build quality is very good.

My version 5 of Starry Night Pro. can talk to the mount OK but it doesn't have a synchronise facility that I can get to work (not a big issue as its usually very close anyway).

The mount is absolutely marvellous, as good as the EQ6 but with lower capacity.

Problem areas:-

The setting circles are carp, don't work and cause the mount to jam up if you tighten the lock screws.

The grease is said to be horrible and black but mine had clean green grease in from new, so that issue could be sorted by the manufacturer by now.

Captain Chaos

Hi CC

Good info thanks.

Can you upgrade the GOTO software on this say updates etc? Sounds like you are well happy with yours.

Having not seen the HEQ5 in the flesh is it much bigger than the standard EQ5?.

Just been looking at some of your recent pics and hey they are pretty good!

Seem to be a black and a white version of this mount do you know if there are any other differences between the two besides colour (daft question but you never know) :D

Cheers

Alan

Seem to be a black and a white version of this mount do you know if there are any other differences between the two besides colour...

The white indicates the PRO version with Skyscan (GOTO) supplied as standard.

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/proddetail.php?prod=proheq5

The black version is essentially the same but without the motors/handset (they can be added later though the overall cost is then higher).

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/proddetail.php?prod=heq5

The HEQ5 is a significant upgrade - in all areas - to the EQ5.

Having not seen the HEQ5 in the flesh is it much bigger than the standard EQ5?.

I have just (within the last week) upgraded to an HEQ5 with Skyscan (a black one) from an EQ5 and there is a big difference between the two mounts in many areas - including weight, smoothness, finish and overall capability. I was sceptical about the price difference between the 2 but now I can really see what those extra £'s get you - the HEQ5 is a top class mount.

Mine sits on a massive Tele-Optic Ash tripod which gives it even more stability - it's really rock solid.

I have not had time to play with all the electronics yet but the 800x slew speed is really cool !.

Here's a pic of it:

image.jpg

John.

As Gaz says, when you upgrade the standard HEQ5 to Skyscan you change the motors, gears, the motor control board and the control panel. You even get an illuminator to fit on the polar scope. I assume that you get all this with the HEQ Pro as standard.

I guess that's why the upgrade costs £400 new !!.

John.

I upgraded my HEQ5 to Synscan capability, and it was worth the money. The HEQ5 is an excellent mount to start with. and this makes it even better.

Did this through Bern at Modern Astronomy.

Used to have a Vixen Skysensor but this had a limited number of stars for alignment compared to the Synscan.

As with anything like this, it has it's moments and can sometimes behave bizarrely. This is not surprising when you consider what it is trying to do.

All in all, definitely worth doing.

Should have mentioned that there has been a name change from Skyscan to Synscan due to trademark issues.

Archived