Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Portable scopes

Hi all,

Me again! I'd appreciate your thoughts in relation to portable scopes.

I've got to go have surgery on my spine in the new year so lugging my Bresser around (specially the EQ Mount) is going to be a no no for possibly up to 12 months. Mrs N. is only tiny and certainly won't be able to help.

I'm thinking no deep sky stuff, I'm thinking of concentrating on a study of the moon and maybe a few planets when they're visible. Other 'stuff' would be great but not essential.

I've thought about binoculars but I'd rather have something on a stand which I can adjust to a low height, and use from a chair.

Cheers all.

Martin

I would have gone down the line of a small refactor, WO 72 or the Antares 80mm.

Only thing I have no idea on is the mount that you would use. Suspect that one would attach to a half decent camera tripod and pointed skyward.

A small refractors not a bad idea. Might need a hefty tripod though cos the Meg 72's bit heavy. Probably have to get the WO Easy Touch alt/az which would be fine if it can go low enough. I don't find short focal lengths too good on moon/planets though.

I suggested a 130 Mak cos it's very light and manageable and a long focal lengh will be really sharp on solar system objects. Plus a telescope tripod with the right fittings should hold it adequately.

At least it's food for thought :o

I'd opt for a small refractor- simply because it gives more options- low power / wide field as well as high powers for moon and planets.

Whichever option, the most heaviest/bulkiest bit is likely to be the tripod & mount- unless you've got a sturdy table to put one of the small Dobs on.

All bought here on the second hand board, I have a TeleVue Pronto and Telepod tripod-altaz head. It came to about £350, I think. Since it can take 2 inch EPs it is not only grab and go but can show you things that only a small refractor can show, so you don't feel it is second best to anything when on these targets. Some examples; Rosette nebula in visual with O111 or UHC filter. Entire Veil complex in one go, ditto filters. The Double Cluster framed with Stock 11 (glorious!) Anything in the Milky Way.

M45 with elbow room on all all sides.

Clearly it also makes a really classy birder with 45 deg prism. It is not, nor will it ever be, for sale in my lifetime!

Olly

Thanks for all the responses! Plenty of food for thought.

I do have a sturdy table in the garden but unfortunately it's in completely the wrong place (very restricted viewing), and I'll not be able to move it around.

It's a complete pain! I like the idea of a Dob but I've got no decent base...I'll not be able to get to the floor so I think a must has to be a tripod of some form. Beyond that I'm lost :o . There's a few mentions of Refractors so I'll take a sneeky peek around the Interwebs.

What sort of things should I be looking for in a moon/planet refractor? Any specific size? Is there a middle ground that may capture some slightly 'deeper' objects?

Thanks again

Martin

Have you considered one of the Celestron SE series. The smallest is a Mac and portable if your back aint to bad. Even my 8SE is pick up on the shoulder using your legs so no real strain on your back and its a good all rounder.

I'm having a lumbar fusion so apparently no lifting, twisting or having fun allowed! I'll not be able to do anything. It needs to be small and light enough for my 5' wife to chuck in the garden and leave me to it.

Archived