Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Looking for a 90-100mm Refractor OTA - do they come up s/h often ?

Ok so I've got the mount (HEQ5 Pro), got the guidescope (ZS66), I've even got (or getting) an ADM side-by-side bar. All second-hand from astro buy and sell or ebay. Now all I need is the bloom'in main scope. I keep getting tempted by WO FLT 110's. There's been 3 on Astro Buy and Sell recently but none in the 90-100mm range. The concensus on another thread I started was that a 110mm was a bit heavy for the HEQ5 and I don't want to trade it in already as I always intended to keep the main scope of a reasonable size as I have to lug it around. So this is why I've been looking for something a little smaller.

Am I wasting my time keep looking and hoping? how often do such scopes come up second hand?

Depedning on your budget, there's a fair few to choose from. Remember, it's focal length and focal ratio that are the real important numbers, aperture is only relevent in relation to these factors. If you're thinking about the TEC FLT110 on AB&S, you might well get away with that because it's the older (but arguably better optically) version that's shorter and lighter than the current model with the TMB designed lens. If it's in clean and in good condition, by all accounts it's really nice scope.

Here's a few that could suit: WO Megrez 90, FLT 98, Equinox/ED 80, Meade 80mm triplet at the cheaper end. At the expensive end there's TMB's, Takahashis... You can spend as much, or as little as you want!

Tony..

Hi Tony. I contacted the guy with the TEC FLT110 and it sounds to be in good condition. However it's around the same weight as a more recent FLT110. As you say aperture isn't the only thing to look at. I'd be very happy with a FLT98 especially a good second hand one. If one doesn't come up then a new Megrez 90 might be what I go for.

Neil.

Interesting, I hadn't come across a 102 Megrez before - not listed on most shop sites.

A bit of "googling" tells me that this model was not around for long. It has appeared in other guises including this scope from Ian King Imaging:

Refractors from Ian King Imaging

So maybe the price of that WO is not such a bargain after all ?

Seems like it's a bit of a minefield as there's lots of scopes out there which are basically the same but sold by different companies under their own banner.

True, but in the case of Ian King you can rely on him giving you an accurate answer to questions about quality, any issues, which reducer-flattener etc.

I do think the ED100 too slow but I would be amazed if you had to wait too long for something. Maybe a wanted ad?

Have you looked at the Telescope Service site for some interesting low-ish cost refractors in these apertures?

Olly

The TS instruments do look very good for the price. I like the look of the TS ED APO 100/600mm f/6 and at less than £1000 it's a good price. I wonder if anyone has experience of the TS scopes?

I asked FLO about the Megrez 102 some time back. They were not that keen on it. It seemed to not match up to the other Megrez offerings, as in the Meg 90. Possibly it was an older design and manufactur as at that time they had a fairly new range of scope appearing nearly all the time. I had the impression that the 102 wasn't one of the new offerings.

I was interested as the price difference wasn't that great for an extra 12mm diameter.

I ended up with the Meg 90 more by chance but did recall the conversation. I am guessing that if it is for imaging then it may not deliver.

I ended up with the Meg 90 more by chance but did recall the conversation. I am guessing that if it is for imaging then it may not deliver.

Hi Capricorn. Do you still have the Meg 90? if so can I assume you like it?

Cheers.

Neil.

The TS instruments do look very good for the price. I like the look of the TS ED APO 100/600mm f/6 and at less than £1000 it's a good price. I wonder if anyone has experience of the TS scopes?

The TS ED APO 100/600 f/6 is also sold by Telescope House under their Revelation brand name.

http://www.telescopehouse.com/acatalog/info_S600_E.html

I had one (since replaced by an FLT98) and it is a nice FPL-51 doublet with well controlled CA. Compact and light weight and with a great focuser. However it's totally outclassed by the FLT98 which is in a different league all-together. I have also used the WO 110 triplet, and while it's a nice scope, the FLT98 has far better Russian made optics.

The TS FPL-53 triplets are superb scopes though. I have one of the little 80mm triplets (about the same size as a Megrez 72) which I am very impressed with. Shockingly close to a TMB optically. The TS 90mm FPL-53 triplet is also really good, and an SGL member has recently bought one, and you should be able to find his initial comments here on SGL.

John

I'm steering towards a Triplet and would sacrifice aperture for excellent optics. The FLT98 would be my ideal choice but they are on the pricey side. Otherwise a Meg 90 or a TS 90 triplet are possibilities.

I thought I was doing well picking up various stuff on the Astro Buy'n'sell site. Thought I'd got a good TV Nagler ep for a good price. Phoned the blocke up almost within an hour of him putting it up. Agreed the deal (asking price) and sent the cheque off to him. Today he tells me he's now sold it to someone else for cash. Darn-it!

Is that on Stargazer Lounge board or the Astro Buy and Sell?. I see there's one on the latter. Don't know if I like the "when my girlfriend knocked it off the table" bit.

I think he meant the cap, not the scope, but I daresay I'd ask...

Olly

Archived