Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Using Naglers for the first time

You know how when you taste decent coffee you can never go back to instant? Maybe when you have decent chocolate for the first time you can never go back to dairy milk (yuck!)?

I just (well, almost just, it was a couple of nights ago) tried a Nagler for the first time looking at Jupiter and wow! So much better than the Plossl I'd been using. Of course, I'll now never be satisfied with any eyepiece of lower quality. *sigh* this hobby just got more unaffordable.

Ha ha, stay well away from anything with green writing on it....even if it's just borrowing a mates. No good will ever come of it.

Fortunately it was one I bought with the last of my "spending money" (no more for 6 months as Wife is on maternity leave, damn babies are expensive. Cute, but expensive).

I was thinking of buying one as a bit of a treat for myself. Worried that I might end up with a full set if I do though.

Having a full set is not something I'd be worried about. Maybe "hoping" would be a better state of mind. Of course, that wouldn't stop me worrying about that I might end up with the bill for a full set!

Definately don't try an Ethos, thats all I'll say :o

Interestingly, I mentioned to my wife that I'd really like an Ethos but couldn't afford/justify one and her response was an entirely encouraging "you can't afford one NOW, but one day you will be able to get them....". I'm liking the sound of that!

Something you could do te distract yourself from the expense, is order up a set of Naglers and have them sent to a friend's house. Ask the friend to paint "Tasco Kelner" over the green Televue lettering, then pass them on to you.

And at Star Parties you will spare other first time Nagler-users the inevitable expense of buying their own ones...

Definately don't try an Ethos, thats all I'll say :o

Please, nobody mention Ethos when I'm on the internet with a credit card close by. Say they're a load of rubbish and I'll try to believe you.

Fortunately it was one I bought with the last of my "spending money" (no more for 6 months as Wife is on maternity leave, damn babies are expensive. Cute, but expensive).

I know what you mean. My wife has 3 months of Maternity leave left, but these are the months of statutory and 1 month of no pay :o

Roll on next year for me!

I got the that when I first got my Speers-Waler. The large amount coma in my old 25mm MA I hadn't noticed up until then. I can't look through that eyepiece now without noticing and getting distracted by it.

I am now looking at a decent quality wide-field eyepiece to compensate. Televue is way out of my budget, but a 28mm UWAN/Nirvana might be feasible :o

I know what you mean. My wife has 3 months of Maternity leave left, but these are the months of statutory and 1 month of no pay :o

Roll on next year for me!

We've got 3 months SMP and 3 months no pay at all left. Eek. Luckily I did loads of tutoring work before Laura-May was born that went into the "maternity fund". It was supposed to be a telescope though.... still, she's worth it!

I got the that when I first got my Speers-Waler. The large amount coma in my old 25mm MA I hadn't noticed up until then. I can't look through that eyepiece now without noticing and getting distracted by it.

I am now looking at a decent quality wide-field eyepiece to compensate. Televue is way out of my budget, but a 28mm UWAN/Nirvana might be feasible :o

I think it's better to save longer and have fewer, higher quality eyepieces. A decent eyepiece will last a lifetime.

I think it's better to save longer and have fewer, higher quality eyepieces. A decent eyepiece will last a lifetime.

From what I hear, the 28mm UWAN is a pretty good eyepiece. And bang on the focal length and FOV I am looking for in a low power eyepiece.

I now feel FREE and ready to buy a Teleview offering. In part, thanks to "equity release". LOL. I'm sorry to say that the sight of the "Serried rows of Green" in some eyepiece boxes aroused an (entirely irrational!) antipathy towards this for quite some time... :)

Hmmm... a 17mm Ethos, might suffice for my typical evening's viewing with a MAK. :o

Archived