Barlow?.... or sell and buy a better eyepiece ?

My daughter received a SkyWatcher Heritage 130P dobsonian with 10mm and 25 mm eyepieces. I purchases a 2x Barlow for planet viewing . . Jupiter . . . . and it turns out we can't see anything with it .

Do i need some sort of adapter to sort out the focus or is it better to buy a 5mm or is that even possible with this scope.

We were looking at jupiter tonight and it was stunning even though it was a bit small ....... was the three specks in line to the left moons ?

Thanks ..... Abby's dad :o

Yeah that would be the moons! It's dead cool. Download the free program Stellarium and it will show you were the stars and planets when you look at the sky from your observing site. Stellarium You just put in your position and time and it will show you which moons are there too.

I tried the 130pm as my first scope. The 10mm that comes with the scope wasnt the best, but I got a couple of plossl eyepeices. You might try either a 7.5 or 6.3mm plossl here Skywatcher - Skywatcher SP Plossl eyepieces I found the biggest mag I could get was with a 6mm eyepeice as the 4mm I had was too far.

I hope you enjoy the scope.

BRIAN

Hi

I tried a barlow with the 'super 10' and can only get a grainy picture - even when looking at things across the street in daylight.

Now I use a 5 mm ortho with this scope and jupiter is still somewhat small but clear. Finding focus with high magnification can also be a bit difficult.

Yes four of jupiters moons are easily seen.

Merry christmas :o)

My daughter received a SkyWatcher Heritage 130P dobsonian with 10mm and 25 mm eyepieces. I purchases a 2x Barlow for planet viewing . . Jupiter . . . . and it turns out we can't see anything with it .

Do i need some sort of adapter to sort out the focus or is it better to buy a 5mm or is that even possible with this scope.

We were looking at jupiter tonight and it was stunning even though it was a bit small ....... was the three specks in line to the left moons ?

Thanks ..... Abby's dad :o

I've had difficulty using a barlow at high powers, I think you need to spend money on an uber barlow for it to work well! I wouldn't sell it though as my barlow works very well at lower powers and allows me to double up my 30mm eyepiece to get 30mm and 15mm at considerably less cost than buying a second eyepiece.

The 130 Heritage is more than capable of powers of x150 and a bit higher. With the 10mm and barlow your getting x130, I think the problem is probably due to the field of view being pretty small with the 10mm + barlow. Before rushing into buying and selling I would say have a bit more practice. Good luck.

Oh I suspect the problem is probably not so much the barlow - but the 'super10' eyepiece combined with a barlow. Yet I'm no expert.

I agree. The 10mm Super plossl that comes with the scope is pretty bad. The 25mm is OK. Used with the barlow will give 12.5mm. That should be ok with the barlow.

Then again i dont know what the SW barlow is like.

I have easily pushed the magnification on the Heritage up to about 224x. Its a very capable scope.

Archived