Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Another PixInsight makeover

ollypenrice

I won't bore you with any more after this one but I reworked M101 having first neutralized the background sky in PixInsight. The image looks better and was far easier to process. No doubt whatever about the improved simplicity.

It seems the original has got itself a full page in the French mag this month so I hope it doesn't look too embarrasing! I haven't seen it yet. This is a crop, TEC140, Atik 4000 mono, EQ6.

Olly

1019029428_dKWLU-XL.jpg

Thanks for your indulgence, gentlemen.

Mike, I believe this had about 5.5 hours of luminance and 90 minutes per colour, all unbinned at f7. There is a bit of OSC camera data in there as well but it was problematic (pre Pix!) so it made little contribution in the end.

Olly

Oh, difficult question. I am a perpetual beginner at IT in general since I started late and have no real aptitude for it. But on the other hand I do a lot of astro imaging, in a sense as part of my job.

If you have an aptitude for learning software then I daresay that PI is approachable despite the lack of instructions. You have Harry's videos to get you going plus a few others. I strongly suspect that it will be the way to go so on the one hand you might as well start learning it now. However, it does strike me as harder to fathom than the AstroArt-Photoshop routine that I have been using for a few years. Of course, when you use things for a few years they become intuitive.

So in short I don't know how to answer your question, particularly since I am a PI beginner in the extreme. I think I'd say, sod it, give it a go. Yes, why not?

Olly

I might go for PI myself when I've passed my CCD Driving test.

Ron.

Tell me you have at least TAKEN some piccies with all your kit Ron, even if you havent posted them!

V nice Olly, as you say, once the irrelevant aspects of the image are nullified, its easier to concentrate on the important stuff.

Archived