Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

light pollution worry

I'm a little worried because where I live has some of the worst light pollution in the country (two different websites).

I'm wondering how big an issue this is, I read read on various forums about some people selling off their telescopes with this as a large contributing factor.

I would only be able to use my back garden, there are even a a few close street lights in view, I hadn't even thought much about light pollution before buying my scope :s

http://www.need-less.org.uk/

Bortle scale 8 = Sky glows white or orange—one can easily read; M31 and M44 are barely glimpsed by an experienced observer on good nights; even with telescope, only bright Messier objects can be detected; stars forming familiar constellation patterns may be weak or completely invisible.
Naked Eye Limiting Magnitude = 4.1-4.5

Hi coffee,

I have the same worry as I live within an extremely light polluted area. Saying that I looked out tonight with my binoculars and got a cracking view of Jupiter and its moons, but yes bit of a worry for DSOs. I guess all you can do is try and see. Have you bought a Light Pollution filter? You could try that if you find it is causing you problems. I'm thinking of getting one myself.

I would strongly recommend a light pollution filter. I live in Athens, Greece and although I don't image much there anymore due to moving to a much darker site, the filter was a MASSIVE improvement. Almost like night and day, if you'll pardon the pun.

I should also qualify that to say I generally don't observe much. I generally just attach my camera for imaging. For that purpose, the filter was a great help.

David

Simple answer is don't worry, I am exactly the same with an 8 on the Bortle Scale and an LV Mag of 4.2

Its a case of make the most from what you have whilst at home and maybe invest in a portable outfit so you can head for the hills when time permits if possible.

Planets will be fine , I have had some stunning views of Jupiter with a 6" reflector and the moon was always stunning with it.

I can easily make out 4 of Jupiter's moons and some of the larger / brighter DSO's with just 10x50 bins, and I have the added problem of houses on all 3 sides of my garden.

There is a very good article in Octobers Astronomy Now Magazine that will give you a good idea of what you can see and believe me there is plenty.

As for gear a big Dobsonian will be best to gather as much light as possible and some decent 10x60 or 10x70 bins

I would agree ... make the best of what you have. From my front garden I can barely see Megrez (3m3), but with a DSLR attached to a 4" scope have been able to capture Pluto (14m). The occasional trip to a dark site is a bonus. Experiment, find out what you can achieve and find your satisfaction in that.

Archived