NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Filters best suited to 8" dob?

I don't use filters on planets myself but I've found UHC and OIII filters useful for nebulae, especially planetary nebulae. The Castell ones seem to get decent reviews for their cost although I've not used one myself.

I have an 8" tube but seldom use filters. The ones I find most useful are the following;

No 8 Light Yellow

No 12 Yellow

No 11 Yellow Green

For a moon filter I either use an unbranded moon filter I have so no idea what strngth it is OR I paire a neutraal density (ND96) with the No.11 Yellow Green OR use a No 58 Green filter.

I also have UHC and OIII filters for deep sky but thsea are very seldom used. Pertsonally I find the OIII too aggressive in an 8" scope and if I were suggesting what to get I;d suggest the UHC of the two.

Hope thats of some small help.

For lunar viewing I have a polarizing filter

Moon & Neutral Density Filters - Variable Polarizing Moon Filter

It is adjustable which is very handy and I have also used it on Saturn and Jupiter. Have a couple of colour filters but don't really like using them, found that I like to view planets mostly in all their natural glory.

I have never got on with coloured filters and don't even use a moon filter now as it always seems to degrade the view a little. I think that the Baader Skyglow is good though from all accounts on the moon Light Pollution Reduction - Baader Neodymium Filter and for general LP reduction

I agree with John that the Castell Oiii is excellent value for money but also that a UHC would probably suit your scope better and be more of an all rounder where needed. I'll be buying a Castell UHC to support my Castell Oiii, put it that way.

Hi John,

I have Mead OIII and Nebula filters and find they are never used except to see if they improve the view which invariably they don't with my 8" (although I am yet to try them on the veil nebula et al), I have previously been advised that a good quality UHC filter would be a useful purchase, as they are not as aggressive as the OIII, I haven't tried one yet as there are other more usable items I could do with for the #75 - #100 cost!

As others have already said a moon filter would be a worthwhile investment and will be the next item on my shopping list!

Archived