Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

SCT Crayford Focuser on an LX200

Hi,

I was considering getting an SCT Crayford Focuser to fit the back of my LX200 GPS. The reason is because I hate having that turn knob to get focus and never know where I am, I much prefer seeing the focuser travel in and out.

I was thinking I could lock the mirror about half way and then use the Crayford focuser to get a rough and then precise focus.

But am I taking a step backwards if I already have the Meade electronic focuser and take that off in favour of an SCT Crayford focuser?

Thanks

Daniel

You also need to consider how you'll attach and use a reducer...

I have both the original #1209 focuser and the Zero Shift #1206 focuser on the 12" Lx Classic. A small handcontroller allows swapping between the two and varies the speed. I find that an ideal solution.

Ken

Good plan to upgrade to a Crayford for a SCT, I did the same to avoid the frustration of image shift when imaging. The electric focuser, although eliminating the shake caused by touching the standard focus knob, is still at the mercy of image shift and sometimes additionally being prone to overrun just at the point of focus.

Archived