Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Eyepieces for PST

Bender

Hi,

I just got my first PST :D and spend some time outside. I tried a few Hyperions and my Pan 24, the Hyperions seems to suffer quite noticeable from kidney beaning, the Pan is slightly better.

In effect black out is that bad that I spend more time trying to adjust my position rather than just enjoying the fews.

I tried a few orto's with the PST last week and cant remember any problems there, just didnt liked the smaller FOV.

A few memberes recommended the Baader zoom in an older thread regarding eyepieces. Could I expect less kidney beaning with the zoom compared to dedicated Hyperions?

Grateful for any advise.

Hello Andre. I have had my PST since 2005 when I went to Spain for the Annular eclipse. The EP that I tend to use is my Hyperion zoom mainly because its convenient but more importantly I don't get kidney bean problems and the view is very good. I must admit that occasionally I use the Ethos 13mm EP but that might be going over the top.

I would add that I have taken the PST/Hyperion zoom combination to SGL4, SGL5 and SSP in 2009 for general use and most members were impressed with the view.

It might be best if you can find someone nearby to try one out to be sure.

Mark

12.5mm Baader Genuine Ortho is my EP of choice for Ha observing. You might "get away with" 9mm under favourable conditions but in my experience never shorter than that.

I no longer have a Ha PST but when I did, the 18mm / 12.5mm / 9mm BGOs were all that I used with it ... the 18mm is useful for detecting fainter prominences and also when the conditions are poor.

Good quality Plossls should also work well.

I h8 zoom EPs (actually that's putting it fairly mildly) but there are good reports of the Lunt zoom EP used for Ha observing. Sorry but I don't know if it will come to focus with the PST.

Archived